*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/213396-BBall-Bikes-and-Beaches
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
#213396 added February 6, 2003 at 4:32pm
Restrictions: None
B.Ball, Bikes and Beaches
I was told I sounded sad and lonely just lately...???? It's funny...I don't feel sad or lonely...Tired...but not sad and lonely. I fell asleep watching TV last night. I can't recall the last time that happened. Is that what sad and lonely people do? *Confused* Maybe. I think that's what tired people do.

Anyways...this is going to be an upbeat entry. *Bigsmile*...even though it's entry #25. After this it's a whole new page...Goodbye Mish...Goodbye Haircut Day.

I got to the gym late last night. I was surprised to see so many people there...but most were just on their way out.

I saw somebody there I haven't seen in about 10 years. We used to play B.ball together when I was incharge of Monday Night Basketball at a small elementary school gym...It later became Monday and Wednesday Night Basketball and then still later Monday, Wednesday and Friday Night Basketball. I usually don't stand around on the court just talking. It was nice reliving old times. He told me about other games going on all over the place and invited me to come out to play with his group. When he started telling me who was there it seemed like I knew most of the guys...(and gals)...playing at another elementary school now. So that's where they got to. *Smile*

I must have played B.ball with hundreds of people over the years. I know most by their first name only. When we talk among ourselves, we describe each other by their shot, size or how they play the game. I used to be known as the "worm" *Bigsmile* coz I can "worm" my way through the defence. I don't take alot of 3 point shots...Im deadly inside though. A good outside shooter has the edge over the inside player...as long as they're on.

I used to play in the mornings with a former college player...just me and her. She could sink 7 or 8 three pointers in a row...which we would count as 2 points...while my inside stuff counted for 1. If either of us lost possession of the ball..it was game over.

I met my friend from the meeting the other night in the gym...she's a personal trainer. It was slightly awkward at first...(it's been my week for awkward situations). I wasn't sure if we were still friends or not...(she had gotten a drive home with someone else after the meeting)...but we were soon smiling and exchanging stories like nothing had happened. *Bigsmile* We loan each other books. I'm really glad that we're still okay. She has so much energy and is so full of life. We have alot in common...beside living just down the street from me...we had a similar childhood...and our kids are best friends. She said we should "do coffee". "Doing coffee" has to be a purely female thing. I would never think of "doing coffee" with other guys. I told her I wasn't a "coffee kinda guy" but she said she'd pop round anyways.

In the spring of this year...her, I and another person were going to bike across our province to raise awareness and funds for a local cause. I was looking forward to it...but I was just a little nervous with biking so far...further than I had ever biked before...it was only the hills that had me worried...male pride I guess...I had visions of the two them leaving me far behind at the bottom of steep hills. I put my favorite bike in the shop to make sure it was ready for such a long trip...this was very early spring and I knew I had a flat tire plus one or two minor things. The day before we were to leave I got my bike back...in pieces. I was told the bearings were shot...it wouldn't be fixed in time...and I knew my other bikes weren't up to it. Probably looked like I was chickening out. *Smile* I went...but as the "follow up car"...driving with a sign in my rear window promoting our cause...and shielding them from traffic.

It poured...driving rain pouring...wipers on full...about an hour into the trip. I felt so guilty...here I was sitting in a dry car...with the heater on...and they were completely soaked. I was so impressed and PROUD of them. Cold and soaking wet they both had big smiles on their faces when we made our first scheduled stop...several hours later. The rain had stopped but their stuff was still soaking wet...they changed into dry clothes. They had already made it over most of the really big hills. Their attitudes were fantastic. We made it to the cabin where we were to spend the night...figuring it would take at least two days to bike across the province. There was still plenty of hours of daylight left and my friend was up for trying to do it all in one day...but Lisa's stomach was acting up so we decided it was wise to stop for the day.

We spent hours just talking in the cabin...I was still feeling guitly...for not biking...and for not getting soaking wet. I haven't spent hours just talking like that in some time...no TV's...no phones...no power...Just stories. :) We hugged each other when I left...I didn't think I deserved those hugs. They had done all the work.

My friend thinks I'm funny...which is weird coz I'm not trying to be funny. It's embarrassing coz one of the first things she tells people that she introduces me to is how fuuny I am...then they stare at me waiting for me to make them laugh. I'm kinda shy in person...I'm no standup. *Smile*

More up beat stuff *Bigsmile*...

I love the sound of water. :) Love it...love it...love it. :) Babbling brooks...waterfalls...little waves lazily lapping on a shoreline or on the side of a canoe on a hot summer day...big crashing ocean breakers that beckon me to jump right in...the gentle pounding surf that's background "music" for a beach campfire.

I love camping near water. I enrolled my guys in a one week swim camp...in a big city pool complex. Hotels are fine...but being just the three of us...I prefer a small tent...miles outside the city...at a campground in a little fishing village ....tent pitched just feet from the water's edge...wharf with small fishing boats tied to it... lighthouse just a few hundred feet away...seagulls calling...fog horn calling out regularly. Camping there was my favorite part of their swim camp. *Smile*

I loved camping on the Costa Del Sol in Spain or in Key West Florida ...where the sand was too hot to stand on in the midafternoon. I love palm trees and beautiful beaches...crystal clear water...warm water *Heart*...around here the water's kinda cool...side hugging cold most of the time...until you get used to it.

I could go on and on but I better go...





© Copyright 2003 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/213396-BBall-Bikes-and-Beaches