*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431862-About-that-Long-Cool-Woman
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#431862 added June 7, 2006 at 11:15pm
Restrictions: None
About that "Long Cool Woman"
I have a problem comprehending time zones. I can look at the clock and figure out the time, but when the time comes--well, it didn't register. I think I could have listened to the poets in the radio presentation, but I tuned in after the fact. I could have kicked myself.

Never did find an archive of the radio presentation. I did get a notice from Promise-Land Productions that "Sage" won the competition. From listening to what was on Power Talk FM after the "Every Woamn" radio show, I think they were looking for something much more dramatic than my presentation. I don't really do "Def Jam." Somehow, I feel like you have to be black to pull it off.

I realized, several weeks after I was in the recording studio, that I had the recorded MP3 files in my possession, and I could probably go to LULU.com and offer a recorded "Long Cool Woman" CD for sale.

I'm in the process of figuring things out. I may have the CD up for some "critical reviews' and reads for "marketing ideas" in a few days. I'll send the password to a couple of interested people for them to download and listen at no charge. I need feedback to whether this is a viable genre or not. I have two people on my list (Miss S and Miss N) to share this with so far. Drop me a note, reader, if you are interested in listening to my 25 minute short story with songs.

There's one problem that's holding me up on official publicaion. I use four songs that Cher recorded in my MP3. I don't think the songs are public domain, which means I need to get a release or permission from whoever owns the copywrite to the four songs--and of course, it's going to be four different people, I think. I'm assuming it's the writer of the song who holds the rights.

Unless someone can point me in a better direction, I guess I just go out on the Internet and search for "owns copywrite" + "the name of the song." Then, if I can locate whoever, I'll write a letter, and ask permission, and probably let them listen to the "product." I don't think it would hurt them to say yes. It'll just give the songs more opportunity to be listened to. However, if the "owners of the Cher songs want money in advance, I can't do it. A wing and a few prayers may get me where I want to be.

If this grand scheme works, I can market with press releases and maybe get some sales. I figure the copywrite release individual is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. After a couple of weeks of effort, I may just go ahead and publish the CD. I don't want to get in legal trouble over the rights, but it's easier to compose than it is to figure out all of the business matters that go along with publishing. Appreciate any info anyone has on this kind of stuff.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431862-About-that-Long-Cool-Woman