*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673133-Eye-Color---Maria
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · War · #1611543
A story based in the holocaust. The Jewish camps and such in WW2.
#673133 added October 24, 2009 at 4:28pm
Restrictions: None
Eye Color - Maria
It had been a week since had seen my twin sister. I had learned to deal with the fact that we’re not the same. She is a normal German girl and what am I? The answer; nothing. I made my bed and then went out to roll call.  Then I went back onto normal duty. I was digging with my hands, just like any other day…
I was out on the yard, just after lunch when I saw through the gate the new prisoners coming. They look exhausted already. Good luck to them. I pray for a miracle everyday to get out of here.

It was afternoon roll call. I was standing in line and they put a line of newbies a few lines in front. I saw the only face I now know. She walked up and lined up. She looked just as I did when I come. Her head was shaved, same clothes. Exactly the same, a spitting image even. At breakfast I paced to get the food and then waited to see her. I went out and sat on the dirt and shoveled down the coffee, followed by the stale bread.
She came out and walked up to me instantly.
‘Oh my...’ I gasped. ‘Why are you here?’
‘Long story.’ She said, looking at the bread in disgust.
‘Well, eat your food.’ I panted as I gulped my own. Then realized there was my old bread from my first day. It was right beneath me. I picked it up and dusted the dirt off and ate that too. I was starving. She looked at me in disgust and then offered me her bread.
‘Take it.’ She smiled dryly.
‘No, you will need it.’ I said with a mouth of dirt and very old bread.
‘We’re going to a nice part though.’
‘Oh, yes.’ I remembered. Then turned around. One of the assistants of Uncle M. was talking to a guard.
‘Come on,’ I stood up slowly and hobbled near the assistant...I made a small coughing noise and looked directly at the assistant. I just wanted to get his attention. The guard saw us before the assistant.
‘Vermin…’ He threatened as he paced over. Grabbed me by the scruff of the loose skin on my neck. Held up a cane. ‘How D-’
‘Wait.’ The assistant halted. Putting his hand on the guards shoulders. ‘You two. Stand side-by-side, would you.’ We did so and he took a closer look. ‘Twins.’ He whispered. Walking in between us and putting his hands on our shoulders. He took us away to another barrack. This one was less crowded and children and women all moved their heads out from the darkness so you could see their faces. They didn’t at all look happy. They looked petrified. But not like all the others from all around, they looked even more frightened. I didn’t understand, they were supposed to be happy!
Amelie and I laid on a separate bed each and all the others were starring at us. They all crowded around. Like we were the new play toy. Or at least the new kids.
For the first three days, they built up our strength. They gave us food and treated us nicely. Except for when we had to swallow a familiar, but vile substance. We were having a better time. I was again strong and had consumed so much food that I felt more healthy. I was doing okay.

I laid on a steel plank and was strapped down with metal chains. I was wrong. Very wrong. Amelie was right next to me on something just like mine. It was even painful just to lie here, let alone what he would do.
We have already been here an entire week. Three weeks since I got to this place. I am so scared. The kids die all the time at the hands of the “Doctor.” He is no doctor. He is a murderer. The angel of death, as the prisoners called him in the barracks.
My eyes were pulled open using metal strings with sharp edges. He had a needle in his hand and an evil look on his face, as always. Then turned to the women that laid asleep in the metal boards like us. He made his assistant put another needle in both sides where their ovaries were.
Then the doctor came for us. He used a needle to put a white liquid in our veins and then begun sucking blood from me. I begun to feel hazy and weak and then dozed off.
We had chemicals injected into our left eyes. We had hazy vision for a while but it come good again. We survived, amazingly, but the injection was incredibly painful. Then they did it again and changed the color of both of our eyes. I was glad to be alive, but my eye got swollen and I couldn’t see at all. And that was lucky in a way, to not have to see the others and what was happening to them.
Before my eyes had swollen, I saw horrible images that arose in my head every time I heard a child scream. Two little girls had been joined so they had two heads, four arms and two legs. It was so horrible. They had pulled their veins and blood vessels together. Making them a Siamese twin. Then they got infected and died with in three days. But then something different happened. One of the assistants threw me in a dark cell room. No food, no water, no sunlight. I had nothing. I was left to endure the horrible pain and horrendous agony that plagued every joint in my body. Every muscle, every cell.
I didn’t know where Amelie was, but I prayed she had gone back to the house by a bizarre change of fate. Or at least at the camp out side. I was actually missing it. Anything would be better then what I feel. That was because they had injected me with germs. Shot them up my arms. And there was no pain reliever for any of it. You just had to endure it.
I was actually feeling quite content for a few days, then I knew something was wrong with her because I could feel cutting. A horrible feeling that felt even more intense then the pain from what was inside me. I had no idea what was happening to her. But then one day, it just stopped. There was nothing but my own pain.


Please Read, Review and Rate!! 

CASSANDRA!!

And please also read my other stories too.
© Copyright 2009 Cassiandra (UN: cassiandra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cassiandra has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/673133-Eye-Color---Maria