*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855265-Dog-Days
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#855265 added July 24, 2015 at 7:17am
Restrictions: None
Dog Days
It is so hot this summer, everyday seems to have a heat index in the 100's. I cut my grass yesterday and as I was trimming shrubs (or trying to) a neighbor came over and said he had a gas trimmer and would be glad to do that for me. Yes, I said yes. And he did...in 15 minutes...so thankful for that. So the yard is done for another week.

I do love to work in the yard but this heat is just too much, makes me feel sick sometimes and I have to take so many breaks, drink water and rest. And to think, the worst is yet to come. August in Florida is a real killer, what we call dog days of summer. I wonder how that name came to be?

Okay, I Googled that and the time period is actually July 3rd-August 11th and refers to the rise and fall of Sirius in conjunction with the Sun. Sirius shines during the day and hides at night. Sirius is in the constellation of Canis Major, the second brightest star seen with the naked eye, and is the name of the dog of Orion. It is called the Dog Star...so now I know, dog days of summer. Shine on, Sirius. Do I dare look up during the day?

until next time...c

© Copyright 2015 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/855265-Dog-Days