*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861584-Lovesong
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #2052168
All stories will follow this Adele album.
#861584 added November 13, 2015 at 5:31pm
Restrictions: None
Lovesong

“I was relying on this.”  He thrust the flare in front of her face.  “And I was relying on this.” He thrust the empty box of matches in her face.  “Neither one of us has time to play.  What were you thinking?  Our chances of being found just dropped 100%.  What were you thinking?”

Laurie looked at Warren with sad eyes.  “I was hoping to get some time alone with you.”

Gesturing to the canyon walls and the wide open sky, “Do you see anyone here?  You blew our only chances for getting help.  Did you think about that before you blew this up?”

“I wish I were dead.”

“Well, you have a good start with these bone headed moves.  What were you thinking?”

“I just wanted your attention.  That’s what I was thinking.  Now that I have it, I don’t want it.  I wish I were somewhere else.”

“Me, too.”

“One day you will see that I am not the idiot you pretend I am.  I know exactly where I am.  I am leaving.  You can follow and be home in an hour or you can sit here and wait on forever.” Laurie walked behind the boulder at the canyon walls that hid the cave entrance.  She found this when she was a kid and fearless adventurer.  She marked it well and spent many happy days exploring this canyon and this cave.  Now she would have to share the secrets with Warren.  He was her best friend and the only one who could talk to her like that and get away with it.

Laurie could sense Warren squeezing through the narrow opening, “Careful.  The entrance is tight until you get a little farther down.  Put your left hand on this wall at waist level.  There should be markings carved into the wall that point the way to the other end.”

“Okay.  Got it.  How did you know about these?”

“I made them when I was a kid.  Wanted to be a spy when I grew up so this was one of my ‘let’s pretend’ adventures.”

After an hour of creeping along the wall, “Warren, put your hand on mine.  Feel that.  It means we have to start climbing. The steps are narrow and steep, but I think you can squeeze through.”
“You aren’t kidding.”

“I know.  Watch your head.”

“Laurie?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m sorry I yelled at you back there.”

“I know.  You were scared and I was there.”

“Still friends?”

Laurie hoped her disappointment did not show up in her voice, “Sure.  Always BFFs.”

“That text talk sounds funny on you.”

“Sorry.  Slipped out.”

“Yeah.  How long you going to be mad at me?”

“Warren, I’m not mad, just a little disappointed.  You know me.  You could have trusted me not to knowingly endanger us.  You could have, you know?”

Warren coaxed, “Yeah.  Forgive me?”

“Might as well.  No one else is waiting in the wings to be my best friend.”

After a few more minutes of a slow climb in the dark, Warren noted, “It’s not as dark as it was down there.”
“We are close to the entrance.  Just a few more yards and we will be on the end of your property.”
“Now that I know about this, I think it would be fun to explore some more.  You up for it?”
“Give me a couple days.  I need food and a bed first.”

Warren breathed a slow sigh of relief. He almost blew it. He did not know what he would do if Laurie quit talking to him.

“Laurie?  What did you mean, you wanted to be alone with me.”

“Warren, you are the best friend a person can have.  I just wanted to say that to you in my most favorite place on earth.  I guess that sounds kind of dumb.”

“I don’t think you’re dumb.  Hey, there’s the entrance.  You weren’t kidding.”

Warren grabbed Laurie and gave her a bear hug.  Laurie just held on for as long as the moment lasted. 

[word count:670]


Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am whole again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am young again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am fun again
However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am free again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am clean again
However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you
However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you
I will always love you
'Cause I love you

Read more: Adele - Love Song Lyrics | MetroLyrics

© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861584-Lovesong