*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2607959
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(676)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 13, 2013 at 2:56pm
Re: Newbie Kinda
by Netta
*Dollar* 10 GPs were sent to The StoryMistress with this post.
Hello everyone!!! I'm Donetta. I opened up a Facebook account in 2010 on my mobile phone out of boredom. Later I purchased a laptop and Facebook games like Candy Crunch are addicting and time consuming. Also, since I live in a small town, with a population of 400, Facebook seemed to cause drama. I then discovered Google+. Took some getting used to, but they formed communities, so, by joining Poets of G+, I began to share my work. My love of words began at a young age. I do remember reading "Little House on the Prairie", "Old Yeller", and "Little Women."
My desire to write began around my 4th grade year. That's when we had to buckle down in school and turn in book reports. I began reading "Blubber" by Judy Blume and for someone in 4th grade, and also a little sheltered, it was amazing that a grown woman could and would put herself in the thoughts and cruelness of children. Her language to me then was vulgar, yet honest, and I began to decide, I can write like this. The following year in 5th grade we began to keep journals at school. I was hooked on journals, but I was also hooked on the days our assignment was to write a story in our journals for our teacher, Mrs. Roberts to take home and grade. I made straight A's the entire year, but her praise on my ability to write short stories so well encouraged me to keep writing.
Then as middle school came along, and in high school, we began to learn about poets, Shakespeare, sonnets, Frost, Whitman, and Plath. I began dabbling in poetry around my 7th grade year and kept a journal. Looking over them now, they sound childish, but I tend to forget that I was a child. I did get scammed when I was 18 years old. One of those poetry contest where everyone wins!!!! Plus your poem is published in their huge book, with a short bio, and then if you want to own a copy, you get the entire collection for $75. I still own the book. Later realizing it was all a joke, made me skittish of sharing my poems, submitting them anywhere else, and now I always wonder if something is a scam. My close friends and I grew up in this small town, that is so rich in history that I had began to appreciate as a child. This used to be a booming coalmine town, however the coal mines were actually shutting down. Then in 1946, an explosion occurred due to gas build up, killing the 12 men working. One of those men was my great-grandfather. So, being raised here by my grandparents, my friends and I perhaps out of boredom, tended to party a lot.
So, to share any poetry with them just wasn't something I was dying to do. I did have two very dear friends whom appreciated then and even now, the words I could pour out on paper. Once joining Poets of G+, I slowly began sharing my poems with the community, received amazing feedback, good and bad. I opened up Blogger and began to participate in blog hops, mostly poetry prompts. Then I went on to open up another blog on WordPress to write flash fiction and anything that isn't poetry. I am beginning to feel comfortable enough to have my poems critiqued, as long as it's helpful. I am definitely checking on submitting some of my work.
I had actually started here on Writing.com before really getting involved with Poets of G+ or either blog. I am glad I found my way back. So, I'm a newbie even though I had one item posted. I'm glad to be back and I'm trying to figure everything out and get a feel of how things work around here. The latest poem I posted from this last November, feel free to read it and critique it. Thanks for your time!!!

Netta L. Sifford
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 2:56pm
by Netta
Re: Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 6:28pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 10:14pm
by Netta
Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 11:04pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 11:22pm
by Netta
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie Kinda · 12-13-13 11:45pm
by Cinn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2607959