*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3388322
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:53am
Re: Re: Re: Paragraph numbers / Line numbers
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Note that the EP feedback system and the Review feedback system are separate things. EP entered texts don't show up in a review, or vice versa. The Edit Points system is a separate feedback system for Static items.

If you're just looking for a way to number paragraphs/lines for regular reviewing, wdc does have a list function that does that: WritingML Help for list. Putting an open list tag at the beginning of the text to be numbered, and a close list tag at the end of the text should do it. If you don't want to number things like scene break markers, you can close the list pair before and reopen it after, as noted in the help doc entry.

The list wml is more efficient for just numbering, and can be used anywhere (such as with the preview function in the Review Tool or Scratchpad/etc.) to see what the numbering is on an item you're reviewing, without going back to MS Word. There is no limit for using it in items, either -- you can use it in all your items, no matter what membership you have.

I wouldn't type 300 words to specify a location either. Note that a copy/paste (no typing) of 5-6 words from the text being reviewed is usually enough to be unique (unless the item uses outright repetition) as a browser find tag to specify a particular line/paragraph.

And here are the answers to the EP questions -- anyway. *Smile*

1. What is the difference between 'Clear Edit Points' and 'Remove Edit Points'?
Clear Edit Points removes the text/data someone typed for the edit points system, and Remove Edit Points takes the edit point markers out of the item and turns EPs off.

2. 'After Punctuation' appears to be 'After Paragraph' and will put an EP number following each paragraph, which is close to but awkwardly equivalent to paragraph numbering.
After Line Breaks would be After Paragraph, yes.

After Punctuation would occur more often, sometimes more than once per sentence -- but only after Line Breaks seems to be working properly when I tested the four options. [FYI: The ScaryMaster]

3. 'At Line breaks - left aligned - right aligned' I had trouble here. Is this three separate commands or one command with two choices?
One command, choose from 3 options where you want it to show up -- just after the end of the paragraph or along the left margin at the beginning of the last line of the paragraph (works better for poetry/lists than prose) or along the right margin of the last line of the paragraph (somewhat more visible, unless the text is short lines along the left margin).

4. 'Manage Manually' lets me change {ep:#} to {ep:1} one at a time, and place them wherever I wish in the text.
If you turn them on and save the edit, and reopen the edit, the system will put in the numbers for you. Then click the Manage Manually and move the pre-numbered edit points to wherever you want them, add more numbered EPs to match, and save. Reopen the edit again if necessary.

If I wanted to add more EPs, I'd probably copy/paste a bunch of dummy paragraphs/lines with line breaks between, at the end of the text, and save to make the system do the hard work. Assuming there were enough EPs left to make more.

5. If I insert {ep:#} in my text, Edit Points will NOT automatically replace the # with a number.
That's the way it worked for me as well. The directions did say to put in the number.
If I copied the style of the existing EPs and put in a number, it worked after clicking Manage Manually and saving.

6. Does the EP function work in a review or feedback item or is it limited to Static Items?
No. Only Statics.

7. Can I insert EPs manually in a review or feedback item or are they limited to Static Items?
No. Only Statics.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Paragraph numbers / Line numbers · 11-28-20 12:15pm
by flyfishercacher
Re: Paragraph numbers / Line numbers · 11-28-20 6:32pm
Re: Re: Paragraph numbers / Line numbers · 11-30-20 1:33pm
by flyfishercacher
Re: Re: Paragraph numbers / Line numbers · 11-30-20 1:41pm
by flyfishercacher
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Paragraph numbers / Line numbers · 12-01-20 1:53am

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3388322