*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1176615-A-Brief-Imposture
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Replace Jeremy and Jessica  •  Go Back...
Chapter #18

A Brief Imposture

    by: Seuzz
"Okay, you're right." The words are hard to say, and your breath comes out raggedly as you say them. "It's stupid to waste resources." You nod at the golem. "Looks like you'll get to show your ugly face in public," you tell it.

A gleam comes into its eye. "It's what I was designed for, isn't it?"

"How do we get your original down here?" Caleb asks him.

"It's no use asking him nicely while you're looking like jerkface there," he says, tilting his chin at you. His eyes shift to your fellow conspirator. "You'd stand a better chance, but Eva is your best bet."

"We should get Jessica out of the way first, though," says her twin. Before you can intervene, she takes out a phone.

"Hey sis," she chirps into it. "This is Jess. Am I there at the house with you?" She frowns at the answer. "Don't be a cunt, Eva. You know what I mean." She listens again. "Look, get her to come out to the clubhouse. You know, the elementary school where you had that life-changing experience."

"How long with this take?" you ask.

She shushes you. "As soon as you can," she says into the phone. "Any excuse. Text Will or Caleb when you leave." She closes the line. "We should get everything ready now in case things start happening fast."

You watch with bemusement as she gets to work. Caleb starts by undressing—a pleasant sight—and pulling the Jessica mask off. You shake him awake, so as not to waste time.

He's groggy as he sits up, and puts his hand on you'd made of him. He blinks at it. "What'll happen if I put this on?" he asks.

"Might turn you into my slave," you suggest. "Then I'd be left to run things." His eyes narrow, but you shrug. "Typically, when you put a mask on the original it just copies their latest memories. There's at least a fifty-fifty chance that's what'll happen."

"What are the chances you'd let me out if it enslaves me?"

"About a hundred," you sigh. "Though I'm sure I'd regret it."

He makes a face but puts it on. It disappears, but he remains standing. He blinks stupidly then glances over at you. He pales and swallows. "The fuck?"

"What?" You catch your breath. "Oh, don't tell me," you grin evilly. "Who's my little bitch now?"

"I will fuck you up so badly if you make me do something gay."

"How're you going to do that when you're my slave?" you gloat. "Come here."

He totters over. You put your arms around him. "Did you like that kiss we shared earlier?" you murmur. "You wanna do it again?"

"Not really," he gasps.

"Yeah, me neither." You reach up, mutter the magic words, and rip the mask from him. He sags against you, and almost drags you down as he slips to the floor.

Again, you have to shake him awake, and he's in even worse shape. "What happened?" he asks after he's finished bitching about the headache he's got.

"Don't you remember?"

He thinks a bit, then says he doesn't. "Then I guess it works on you the same way it did on Robert," you tell him. "It was like you suddenly had to do everything I told you."

"I'm not sure I like that," he says. "What happens if you put it on?"

There's only one way to find out. Caleb only watches with an expression of curiosity as you lift the mask to your face.

All goes dark as it covers you. Then a black, churning surf engulfs you. But it's not composed of water. It's composed of tentacles.

* * * * *

A familiar face is peering closely at yours when your eyes open. You suck your breath in sharply and try to scramble back. "Will you take that fucking thing off?" you shout. "Jesus, don't be a pervert!"

"The hell are you talking about?" Caleb says.

You swing your fist and connect. With a grunt, he falls back onto his ass.

His naked ass. You feel your face flush. "God damn it, what were you planning on doing?" He just holds his jaw and works it carefully. "Where the fuck are your clothes, dude?" You look around and spot a pile of them next to Jeremy, who is grinning like a madman as he watches you. You snatch up the cargo shorts before it hits you: these are your clothes. You look down at yourself. The hell are you doing wearing Prescott's shit?

You put your hands to your face and scalp. It feels like your hair, not Will's: short and curly instead of long and floppy. Your hands are your own too. You look back over at him. Well, never mind. You need to get that mask off him and onto the golem before Jessica and Eva show up.

He bats at you as you try grabbing his face. "Just take it off, man," you snarl. "We can talk about whatever faggot plans you had for me after we get things ready for the girls."

"Will! Will!" he shouts. "Stop it! Calm down." You glare at him, and he glares at you. "I'm not wearing a mask! You're wearing a mask!"

"The fuck are you talking about?"

"You're wearing my mask. You need to take it off!"

You stare at him. "I know who I am, Will. So don't try to mindfuck me."

"When's your birthday?"

"Fuck you. July 2."

"No, that's my—" His face goes slack, and a look of fear and loathing washes over it.

Oh my God, you think. He's really into— "Get the fuck out of my head," you growl. "Get that mask off and get out of my head. It's private property!"

"I could say the same thing to you," he spits. "But you're the one who needs to concentrate. What do you know about Prescott? That you shouldn't know? What's his birthday?"

"December 30." You feel much more certain about that than you should.

"What's his mother's maiden name?"

"Wertham." You feel an internal spasm.

"Are you still a virgin?" Your mind flashes back to that church camp two years ago. The girl from Mountridge. The argument about whether oral sex was sex. Wait, you've never been to a church camp. So you couldn't have told ... Couldn't have told who? You never told Caleb about it ...

You're swept by vertigo, but it clears up real fast, and when it's gone you are yourself again. Albeit with Caleb's mind and memories draped around your own, like a set of comfortable clothes. "Jesus, dude," you groan, "you've got a powerful psyche or something."

"Just take it off," he says through gritted teeth.

"No, wait, hang on." You release him and sit back on your haunches. "Don't worry, I'm not surfing for porn," you reassure him. "Just trying to figure things out."

"Like what?"

"Like how come your mask hit me so bad. It wasn't like this when I— I mean, when either of us put on the other masks. You could feel the other personality coming on, but not nearly that strong. You s'pose it has something to do with the new spell?"

"It is like there's a golem inside the mask," he says cautiously. "Maybe it amplifies the effect of the mask."

"It's something we need to watch for," you say. "First rule is that neither of us puts on one of these golem-mask hybrids without the other around. Or maybe we don't even use them."

"Just stay ourselves?" he asks. "Fuck that."

"I know." Your look of disgust surely mirrors his own. "But we might have to, for a little while. Okay, back to getting ready." You turn to Jeremy, who still leans quietly and nakedly against the wall, then pause at a noise. "Is that a phone? Yours or mine?"

"Mine, in every sense of the word," Caleb says. He scrambles over to his clothes. "Shit," he says as he scans it. "Missed text message. Better—"

The door opens. Eva and Jessica Garner come in. They freeze at the sight of double Calebs—one of them naked.

* * * * *

"I can't believe she fell for that 'he's my cousin' gag," Caleb marvels as he strips Jessica's panties off her.

"I can't believe she let us get so close to her with the mask." You hoist her up and fiddle with the bra.

"I think it's because she was concentrating on Jeremy," Eva says from the corner. The latter chortles and strikes a bodybuilder's pose.

"Is that mask coming back out?" Caleb asks. You shake your head. "Do we have time to make up some more of that mask-golem gunk?"

"No. We'll have to put her mask on the golem and put your face on her."

"What will we do with me? I'll have to wear her face."

"You could wear mine. Turnabout is fair play."

"I wanna play with boobs, not cock. Speaking of which, how about you come home with me as Eva? We should plot."

You have the following choices:

1. Change into Eva

2. Stay as yourself

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1176615-A-Brief-Imposture