*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Be Kind, Rewind
  2. The Test Department
  3. The Leftovers
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2489101-Be-Kind-Rewind
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Try the mask on this mall cop.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #8

Be Kind, Rewind

    by: Unknown
by Masktrix

“OK,” you shrug, opening the bag. You are keeping your scared demeanour, but the fear has been replaced by nerves. You grip the mask, turning it in your hand. She leans over to take a glance inside. You lean over too... here goes nothing...

You shove the mask on her face. In a moment it vanishes and she faceplants onto the table. You have to rush to grab her coffee before it spills.

You back up, back against the door, fingers fumbling to turn the lock. Did it work? Is this what’s supposed to happen? Is she alive? You wonder what the hell you’re going to do now. She seems to be breathing but is otherwise unconscious.

But what happens next?

You begin chewing your nails out of nerves. This got out of hand quickly. And now you’re in this deep, the only option is to go all the way.

You walk over to the video surveillance monitors. They show all aspects of the store, connected up to a battered desktop PC that looks like it’s from the 1990s. No way, you think... you push the DVD drive and out pops a spinning gold disk. That’s how Big Nird has been protecting itself against shoplifters? A single, unsaved DVD? You take it from the drive. Hopefully the security team will think someone forgot to put a new copy in. In fact, judging by the post-it notes slathered on to the desk, that happens quite often.

What next? You pause, trying to think. The coffee is getting cold, so you pour it away and replace it with a fresh batch. That should make her think less time has passed. Then all you need is to get the mask. What feels like an eon ticks away as you nervously wait. Then the mask reappears, glowing for a moment before subsiding. It clinks against her glasses. Carefully you pull it out and look at the back. It’s still the serene sky colour, only this time there seems to be a face inside. Quickly, you stuff it in your bag.

You’re about to leave when suddenly a thought strikes you. If you’re planning to disguise yourself as this woman, don’t you need clothes? You step past her, looking for her locker. Hewitt... Hewitt. It’s not there. Pruitt? You look back at her name badge, and shake your head. “Learn to read, Will.” Opening the Pruitt locker, you look for anything you might need. A spare glasses case. Quickly you open it and take the pair. Then you open up her wallet. ID... home address. Useful to know. And a stub for Speedy’s Dry cleaning in town. You think for a moment then take the chit. Then, wallet back where you found it, you thrust the items into your bag and head home.

It’s late when you get back. Your stomach is still leaping around in knots. Your dad corners you about a job at Salopek, and you mutter something about working with Caleb. Your mind is elsewhere. The mask requires you to paint on a sealant. That means paint brushes and ingredients that will likely stink. You’ll need to wait until tomorrow.

School passes. Caleb proves frustrating when it comes to money for your spellcraft. Then home. The paste is easy to make, the ingredients in front of your window before bursting into flames above the sigil to create a slurry. You get a paintbrush from downstairs, Dad hassling you to get a haircut. Homework. You paint the mask and hide it in your sock drawer. Then, as the house falls asleep, you sneak into the bathroom with the mask and your pilfered items.

So far you have avoided experimenting on yourself. But here goes nothing. With a deep breath you place the sealed mask on your face and...

The world begins to shrink around you, the mask suffocating, lancing the air from your lungs and sucking your face. You feel your eyes want to burst free, a deep sea of strange emptiness from which you can only hope you bob to the surface. Then, with a gasp, you are back in the room.

It’s a blur. Everything is a blur. Where’s the mask? Did it fall off? Why can’t I see? Am I going blind? You reach up to your face, knocking something warm. You glance down. Breasts. You have a large set of breasts. You look closer at the hand. It’s the blanched, smooth hand of a slightly overweight woman. You bend down. Beneath the overhang of your new belly you can’t see anything. You reach down. Gone.

“Holy...” the voice isn’t yours. Turning to the mirror, you stumble forwards, staring into it as you lean to get it into focus. You are the exact double of the security guard. Her - your - pleasant, oval face looks back at you. You blink and she blinks. You win your right eye, the mirror winks her left. Stumbling around in the bathroom, your grab the stolen glasses and slip them onto your nose. Suddenly the world comes into focus.

You are now the perfect double of a slightly overweight woman in her 20s, a long mane of brunette hair stretching down your back, almost to your hips. She must have kept it tight in that bun. You study your new figure. Overweight but not terribly so; with her cute face and hair done right your form could be a plus size model. This is incredible.

Hurriedly, you rush back to your bedroom. How do you get the mask off? You rub your new curves as you look in the grimoire. A simple incantation. You say the words, the mask comes off... and then it’s morning.

You need money for the next spells. There’s no question in your mind, now. You have to do more. You don’t have any money, but the next spell seems just to need some basic chemicals and a metal strip. To know another. Copy someone’s mind, maybe? That means finding the security guard again. Or maybe you could find out more by trying to find that brother she mentioned. He likes shopping for bras... it could be perfect blackmail material. The only Pruitt you know is Brent Pruitt, one of the school school orchestra. Maybe you could blackmail him, it is is the right Pruitt.

You have the following choices:

1. Find the guard again

*Noteb*
2. Blackmail Brent Pruitt

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2489101-Be-Kind-Rewind