*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/NWH3P5YK7-Tuesday-Twists-and-Turns
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Go home  •  Go Back...
Chapter #40

Tuesday Twists and Turns

    by: rugal b.
For a moment you sit at the exit, waiting to turn onto Twentieth Street but unsure of what to do. A pissed off Seth Javits is going into the storage facility, likely looking for Cindy. When he does, he'll find her with a bunch of guys and then, you surmise, the shit will really hit the fan. Part of you thinks that you should go back and help but as soon as the idea comes you know that it's stupid because what exactly would you be able to even do? You are a bit curious to see what could be happening but your sense of self-preservation overrides your curiosity.

You turn out onto Twentieth and then make the drive home. After dinner and homework you spend the rest of the night browsing x2z and your text, checking and replying to more messages or continuing conversations from yesterday. But even when asked, you make no firm commitments and only say that you're seeing how the weekend develops before you solidify any plans. But you do promise a few of them to keep them updated. Then you turn in for the night and possibly due to sheer, unexpected exhaustion, find yourself falling asleep quicker than usual.

* * * * *

You don't talk much with Caleb beyond general light conversation as you walk to Walberg's classroom and once you get there, you'll tell him that you'll catch up as you break off and beeline towards Dorothy who, you realized yesterday, sits on the other side of the room. "Hey," you greet her as you walk over, "how's it going?"

Her attention drifts from her phone to you and you're stuck by the fact that she's actually very cute, with large eyes and a pert nose. Jeez, you spent a long time being intimate with this girl and you can't even remember it? You'll have to remember to not go hard on the alcohol next time you're at the Warehouse.

"It's goin'," she says in a rather lazy manner. Her expression, a sort of amused and sleepy smile, makes you hope that it's just how she talks instead of her showing you disinterest.

"I've been getting a lot of messages over the last few days, you know."

"Yeah, you have," she says without changing expression or tone.

"Well, I haven't gotten anything from you. What's up?" you ask.

"Mmm, well y'know you just seemed pretty busy and all. Also, I guess I'm just kinda embarrassed."

"Embarrassed about what? Not about being with me." You try to say it with humorous, but confident, self-deprecation. The kind of thing that invites a positive (for your ego) rebuttal.

"Nuh uh, definitely not," Dorothy replies, taking the bait. "It's just... I'm not normally like that so like, it was kind of embarrassing for me. I just felt real awkward about it, right? So I was just avoiding you for a little bit 'cause it was reminding me of that. But I'm fine."

"So you're not upset at me or anything like that?"

"Upset?" she asks and pauses for a moment. "Nah, it's fine. I don't have a reason to be upset about anything. We're cool."

"That's good then because you know, I was thinking maybe we could get together?" That elicits only a noise of indeterminate meaning. "I was told by, uh, some friends that there's going to be a party this Friday."

"Friday, huh? Where at?"

Maybe it's the events of the last few days but where before you'd wilt, now you're feeling a little more confident so resolve to respond in a way you feel portrays some of that newfound backbone. "They haven't said anything about that yet but I'll tell you once I know. I'd really like to see you out there and get the chance to hang out some more outside of—" You're cut off by the first bell—the warning bell really—to signal that class is going to be starting. "Shit," you mutter.

"I'd be fine with getting together whenever," Dorothy says before you can walk away. "But okay. Tell me where that party is and I'll see you there." With a snicker she adds, "Or maybe we can go there together."

You don't know if she's actually serious about that or if she's just needling you.

* * * * *

Second period comes and as you wait for class to start you ask Keith if he's heard anything from Mike and Carlos about yesterday. "Nah, I ain't heard a thing," he drawals. "Why? Somethin' happen?"

"I don't know. I was out there doing some stuff with them and Cindy was out there too," you say which causes him to perk up. "We just did normal stuff," you say when you see his reaction, "but when I was leaving I saw Seth coming in and I figured that he was probably there to find Cindy."

"Well nah, they ain't said nothin' to me. Prolly try askin 'em yourself if you're so worried," he answers.

But before you can respond to, you feel a hand on your shoulder and and see Mia walk up next to you. "Will," she beams, "we still on for a movie some time? How's Friday sound?"

"Friday... yeah, I'm heading out to a party on Friday so I don't know if that'll work," you answer.

"A party... oh! Out at Cheswick's?" she asks.

"That where it is?"

"It's what some people were saying last night. You know him?" You shake your head. "Eastman guy. Here, wait," she says as she takes a notebook out of her backpack. She scribbles something, tears a bit out and then hands it to you. "That's his address. If Friday's no good for a movie then maybe I'll see you out there."

"Count on it," you answer. She giggles and gives you a small wave as she heads over to her seat.

"Fuck man, you gotta let me get some'a that mojo you found," Keith states. "Goin' to a party with fuckin' Mia."

"Actually, I'm probably going with Dorothy," you answer. "She said she wanted to go together last period."

"Harmon? Fuck, then you're gonna be gettin' real lucky seein' as, well, ya know."

"I don't."

Keith looks at you and then grins. "Then you're bouta find out. Whatchu think about her?"

"I guess we spent a lot of time together making out whe I was at the Warehouse," you admit. "Only I don't remember it on account of being drunk. But she's cute and she seems nice so I'm not against going out to a party with her."

Keith nearly doubles over. "Oh man, yeah you're in good wit' her then," he laughs. "Have fun I guess."

* * * * *

You're still getting it a bit throughout the day. In fourth period Susie Lekuawehe, a pleasantly round Polynesian girl who you apparently were with at the Warehouse, asks if you're going to be out there this weekend too which earns you some grins from Mike and Carlos. You take the chance to ask them about what happened with Seth yesterday and they eventually assure you that nothing did. He stewed and threatened but Cindy got him to back off and then they left.

At lunch Jessica asks you how things are going but doesn't do much more than that as she goes off with Yumi, Lin and Jenny. The real surprise happens at the end of eighth when Cassie catches your attention.

"Hey, um, so how's it going?" she asks which prompts a generic positive response. "That's good so, um, me and Melissa and a few others were going to get together at the library this evening for a study session. And I was wondering if you wanted to come along?"

"To a study session?"

"Oh, well, yeah! But it'll probably just be everyone talking because you know how those things are so if you don't want to go then that's fine. Uh, it won't just be girls there either so there'll be some guys there too if that helps. Or maybe it won't, I don't know. But if you want to come just show up. It's all really informal so don't sweat it if you can't."

You assure her it's okay but you have no idea what you're doing yet. You're actually wondering if you should take her up on it because Melissa—her friend who was hanging around Andrew Harding and Lee Reynolds when Cassie was talking to her—is pretty cute when you're accosted by the Garners who have Stephanie in tow with them.

"Will!" Eva calls out to you as she grabs your arm. "We were wondering if you wanted to hang out with us today."

"With you guys?" you ask stunned. Though they've been doing this for the last little while you still have a hard time believing it.

"Well us, Cindy and Yumi," she answers. "You don't have to or anything but come on, four beautiful cheerleaders want your attention."

"And Stephanie, I guess?" you ask.

Stephanie rolls her eyes. "I can't go anywhere today, Prescott. My dad needs that bureau moved from the house into storage."

"You looking for help?" you ask her.

"Not looking but if you're offering..."

"Don't steal him from us," Eva pouts.

"Ah, well, I don't know if I'd be able to hang out with you guys either," you state. "Cassie asked me about coming out to a study session at the library."

"Wait, Chatterbox Cassie?" asks Jessica.

"Ah, didn't know you had already had plans," adds Stephanie. "It's fine, we'll find someone to help. No big deal."

But it is a big deal because while these invites from different girls and the attention they've all been paying to you is nice, it's still uncharted territory for you and Stephanie has, so far, done a lot to help you out. So you'd kind of like to stay on her good side and continue picking her brain about what you should do.

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Hang out with the cheerleaders

*Noteb*
2. Study with Cassie and her friends

3. Help out Stephanie

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rugal b. (UN: rugal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/NWH3P5YK7-Tuesday-Twists-and-Turns