*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Choose Your Ship
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1680494-Living-Amongst-The-Stars/cid/1122899-Choose-Your-Ship
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1680494
Humanity has become a nomadic race; explore the galaxy with kids and teens on a starship.
Chapter #1

Choose Your Ship

    by: citywalker
1) The SS Pacific, named after the massive ocean from the home world, is the largest ship controlled by humans. Over a million passengers are on board, most of them civilians trying to go about their normal lives. The ship is governed by a democratically elected council that rotates membership every eighteen months (a unit of time that is still measured precisely to coincide with the phases of the moon back on Earth). Each ship passenger has their choice to do what they want with their lives, though the government strongly controls the education system in order to influence students to specialize in what would best benefit the ship at large. The large interior spaces in the ship affords the opportunities for agriculture, proper waste recycling, and simulated open-air environments. Living on this ship is as close to pre-destruction Earth as any human ship has yet gotten.

Our story will focus on a group of five friends at one of the educational centers in the ship. These friends are all in the same class, and though they are all only fourteen, due to the needs of the ship they are in their last year of accelerated schooling before being utilized in the workforce. Our characters are the three boys Kai, Ravi, and Reizo, and the two girls Kat and Zina.


2) The SS Vanguard is a very military-centric ship of about 15,000 inhabitants. Each citizen, no matter what their role, is considered a member of the military, and their assignments are controlled by the General and the Admiral, the two shadowy leaders of the ship. The Vanguard has had a history of bloody coups, but no matter who ends up ruling, a strict tradition of protocol is followed, and every action is made for the strengthening of the ship.

Our story will focus on three boys who are in the military academy of the ship and have been selected to be trained for the elite unit of the ship, the Shadows. Shadows answer directly to the General and the Admiral, and to no one else, and are in charge of enforcing the leaders' will and control both in the ship and in any special planetary mission. There are only a small number of Shadows at any given time, and the training for it starts at age 12 and is very secret, those selected having to be taken away from their families and friends, effectively starting a new life. Our characters are Jules, the oldest in the group at 17; Aiken, the fifteen year old borderline-psychotic; and Ian, the 12 year old who has just been selected.


3) The SS Winnipeg is one of the hundreds of tiny ships out there, only hosting four families and, currently, a total of twelve people, eight adults and four kids. They were a group that had gotten banished from another, larger ship due to eccentric ideas and nonconformity, and have been one of the few outcast ships who have actually been able to survive on their own, largely in thanks to the ingenuity of the de facto "Captain", Gregory Kensington. Gregory is a technological and mechanical genius, and has customized and repaired the bucket of bolts that is the Winnipeg into being a machine that, though not much to look at, can actually explore the galaxy just as well as a much larger ship. Gregory and the other adults are all very scientific minded and love to explore new places. It was this kind of curiosity that led Gregory to falling in love with Lar-thaza, a female Thazazoid, which is an alien race of nine feet tall, crimson-skinned humanoids. Their joining is one of the reasons that led him to be expelled from his previous ship.

Our story doesn't focus on Gregory or Lar-thaza, however, but on the children of the ship. Ken-thaza is Gregory and Lar-thaza's offspring, a ten-year-old that, due to being half-Thazazoid, is already six feet tall. Deanna is the fourteen-year-old daughter of one of the other scientists, and Dyson is her eleven-year-old brother. Liang is the fifteen year-old son of the third couple, and is the smartest of the group, even outsmarting the adults sometimes. Finally, the fourth couple is barren, but the mother is an expert in robotics and has created an android son, whom she has just introduced to the other children, called Dimitri.

4) Create your own ship! Go ahead and write your own ship full of kids and/or teens in this choice. You can put a short description at the beginning of the chapter and I will transfer it over here, or if you don't leave a description, I will write my description based on your chapter for it!

You have the following choices:

1. SS Pacific

2. SS Vanguard

3. SS Winnipeg

4. Create your own!

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 citywalker (UN: citywalker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
citywalker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1680494-Living-Amongst-The-Stars/cid/1122899-Choose-Your-Ship