*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Roast beef
  2. ...to Stalhaven
  3. The Road To The Throne
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2027122-GoT-Interactive-Story-Competition/cid/1991742-Roast-beef
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Community · #2027122
When you're ar the brink of war, what choices do you make? Which road do you take?
This choice: Roast beef  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

Roast beef

    by: L. Stephen O'Neill
Aris lazed in his saddle, swaying in the heat of the day and Jaren's endless complaints. I don't think he's noticed that I tuned him out leagues ago, thought Aris, I wanted to be a mercenary captain, so I guess this comes with the job.

"The lads are talking mutiny, if I know the look," said Jaren.

Aris turned in his saddle and looked back along their line-of-march. Even the soldiers near him looked sullen. "Oh their good lads. . ."

"Their hungry, and this isn't what they planned on."

"Surely the half with experience knew what was coming," said Aris, looking over at his second. The older man looked worried, but that was nothing new.

"Oh aye, but that doesn't make them any happier for it. There's a mob that wished we went after Lord Kefnir's castle. The longer we walk, the more that are going to wish they were sitting in that old stone pile," groused Jaren.

"You most of all old friend, eh?"

"I'm glad it's my arse that hurts and not my damn feet,"

Gazing forward Aris saw a flurry of dust drifting around a small heard of cattle coming up the road. The column was still far from Stalhaven and he knew the men were grumbling with cause. Here was an opportunity, and a chance to rest and refit, and best of all feast on fresh roast beef. A grin split his handsome face, "Well Jaren, your stomach's wish is my command, we camp here by yon river. Pile up your own stones and have a seat. Here comes our dinner on the hoof."

"Will we buy the herd?"

"Leave that to me," said the captain, and he set his heels to his horse, "You get the fires started and the water fetched."

296 words *Checkg*
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 L. Stephen O'Neill (UN: sonofniall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Gaby ~ Way behind! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2027122-GoT-Interactive-Story-Competition/cid/1991742-Roast-beef