*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612967-The-Forests-Eyesunfinished
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1612967
The forest is a strange place.
Jenni bounded through the fields of yellow grass that grew to her small waist. Her bouncing auburn curls framed plump, freckled cheeks, deep blue eyes, and a tiny nose. She held her slender hand over her eyes to shield them from the rising sun peeking over the distant mountains. The trees were the color of autumn and beautiful against the pale pink sky. A chilling breeze blew leaves into the air and she dodged them for fun. Panting, she entered the woods.

The twigs and thorns caught on her long dress, ripping it. She knew later she would get scolded by her mother but she couldn't wait to get to her and her sister, Jamie's, tree house. It was were she and her sister spent most of their time, sometimes playing house or pulling out an old board game. It was in a hollow tree with a giant piece of flat wood for a door. A tiny stream ran a few feet from it in the shape of an S that they would play in during summer. The hollow tree never had leaves, not even in Spring.

She followed her sisters footsteps, stepping in each one though Jamie's feet were much bigger than hers. The wind blew again giving Jenni goose bumps on her arms and legs.

Soon she cam to the gate. Two trees stood leaning toward each other, their branches intertwined. Jamie had always said that they were her and Jenni and they would stand together forever watching over their tree house. Most people would go around but, pulling the right sticks, Jenni slipped through them cleverly.

Jamie stood near the stream with a bucket in her strong hands. Brown curls fell onto her shoulders. She had just the right amount of freckles under her green eyes. Little dimples formed as she smiled at Jenni.

"Took you long enough, Jennifer." she said sticking her chest out and shaking her index finger in Jenni's face.

"Shut up!" giggled Jenni, pushing her finger away. "Mom made me do more chores." she crossed her arms and stuck her lower lip out, pouting.

"Why?" she asked bending low to catch the fast running water in the bucket.

"My grades." Jenni scowled and her sister.

"I didn't tell! I swear, Jenni!" exclaimed Jamie, hurriedly. Jenni pulled her eyebrows together, forming wrinkles between them. "Jennifer, don't you give me that look. You know I wouldn't do that."

"Do I?" retorted Jenni. "Do you remember Howard? That squirrel and hid it in a box under my bed? You tattled on me for that!"

"What was I supposed to do? The thing could have had rabies or something." She said sitting the bucket down. "Look, whether you believe me or not, I don't really care. Can you carry this? It's for Tom. That Kudzu is growing up the side of the tree again and I've go to take care of it." she turned to walk away

"Aw! See you do care about him!" Jenni yelled after her.

"No I don't! It's just a stupid plant you named. He's still wilting, by the way." she yelled over her shoulder.

Jenni sighed and picked up the heavy bucket. "I know..."

© Copyright 2009 K.A. Price (kaylabugg678 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612967-The-Forests-Eyesunfinished