*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327443-How-does-plastic-affect-the-environment
Rated: E · Article · Health · #2327443
Read this for a brief explanation of what plastic does to Mother Nature.

While Plastic is very disposable, People should switch to better alternatives other than plastic because plastic causes harmful effects to the environment, plastic does not break down or decompose, and plastics are hazardous to human health.
Traditional plastic, much known as polyethylene terephthalate, is composed of many chemicals that bacteria cannot consume or break down. Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE) is a general-purpose linear semi-crystalline thermoplastic polymer. When bacteria cannot break down, or decompose certain substances Vast reservoirs of organic compounds that cannot be broken down without the aid of enzymes found only in bacteria would eventually accumulate, and essential components of the ecosystem would become irrecoverably locked in place.
Now, what does this all mean? Well according to Davidson Institute (2020), “The reason for the slow degradation is a simple one. These materials do not exist in nature, and therefore, there are no naturally occurring organisms that can break them down effectively or at all. The chemical bonds in plastic materials are not accessible or “familiar” to bacteria in nature. These materials are called “xenobiotic.” ”
During World War II, the United States needed to conserve their natural resources, so they opted toward more synthetic materials that they could easily throw away, or reuse again. Plastics were the main alternative. Nylon, invented by Wallace Carothers in 1935 as a synthetic silk, was used during the war for parachutes, ropes, body armor, helmet liners, and more. Plexiglas provided an alternative to glass for aircraft windows. A Time magazine article noted that because of the war, “plastics have been turned to new uses and the adaptability of plastics demonstrated all over again.”
After experiencing the Great Depression and World War II, Americans were ready to start spending again. Most of what Americans bought during this time period were made of plastics, since their natural resources were very limited. After many years of Americans continuing to buy plastics, the industry started to grow into other countries. Soon, all over the world, Lots of people were making, buying, and disposing of plastics.
In conclusion, although plastics are very disposable and easy to use, plastic has an everlasting impact on the environment that is very disastrous to human health and does not break down, eventually making its way into the human food chain, or by destroying our Earth.
© Copyright 2024 closscie (closscie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327443-How-does-plastic-affect-the-environment