*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328821-The-Webster-Saga
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Documentary · Biographical · #2328821
2024 Novel Prep
THE WEBSTER SAGA


William stood on the upper deck of the ship, gripping the handrails tightly. Passengers were not allowed topside except for a few minutes, already ice had begun forming on his eyebrows. He took a couple of deep breaths. Even though the cold air stung his lungs, it felt good to take in air that wasn’t filled with the stench, disease, and death that lay below. He looked out at the endless sea meeting the sky and wondered if they would ever reach their destination. He longed for the home he had fled; his mother, father, siblings. What was done, was done. It was likely he would never see their faces again. He would have to muster up and hope for the best; not only for himself, but the Quaker Friends and other passengers below who still clung to life.

William turned when a seaman tapped him on the shoulder. “Best get below now, ‘tis nowt fit for man nor beast up here.”

William nodded his head and made his way to the hatch and the ghastly scene below.

Mary, who was administering water to an ill passenger, looked up when she saw William enter the cabin. He looked troubled and anxious, which wasn’t surprising, not at all. What passenger here wouldn’t wish to be back in their homeland, she thought.{/}

Mary had come with her Quaker parents, older sister, a brother-in-law, and two brothers, ten, and twelve. Annie, her older sister, was bedridden. She was 4 months with child and seasickness kept her in the berth. Mary administered to her as best she could.

If only, went through her mind and she stopped the thought. What good would it do now to wish for something that has already passed. Best, be about her business and put those thoughts aside. There was much to do and time was wasting.

An eerie scream was heard throughout the deck. Heads turned to look and then bowed in despair as the ship had claimed yet another life. When would it end? Would they all perish?

Quicky William rushed to the side of the now deceased passenger and offered aid to the grief-stricken family. "Come now, there is nothing more thee can do for him, let us make final preparations and we shall talk with Friends about arrangements later."

Face buried in a kerchief, the wife and four children were rushed to a group of women Friends where they were comforted as best they could be due to the tragedy. Meanwhile, the men labored to prepare the body for burial at sea; the only option they had aboard ship.

© Copyright 2024 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328821-The-Webster-Saga