*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329130-The-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2329130
Flash Fiction
The Story

Harley and Mirna had been robbed! They had a small convenience store on the corner. In the ten years since they’d opened, they had never had even a shoplifter! However, walking in that Tuesday morning, was a shock. There was a mess near the counter, the cash register was open, and also empty. The safe, too was empty. All their savings, all their stocks, everything precious, gone.

They called the police immediately and spent the day talking and answering questions about every aspect of their days and business practices. They had gotten into a habit of going to the bank on Monday morning to get cash for the store. Then again Wednesday and Friday to put their earnings in, and get more ones and fives, for change. Consequently, on Tuesday there was always a pretty full cash register. Asked many times, neither of them remembered ever sharing this information with anyone else beyond each other!

Everything was thoroughly investigated. And then, months went by. Months and months… The case was never solved.

Waiting in anticipation, Harley and Mirna got into more disagreements. They still ran the store, but now questioned every practice they used. Also, Harley kept saying the police were being stupid. Mirna always stood up for their efforts. And both suddenly found many problems that they hadn’t even noticed in their marriage, until after that morning. Eventually, they disagreed on more than they agreed on. And then they did agree, on divorce.

The next few months were full of paperwork and decisions. Harley moved into and apartment and eventually they sold the house. The store closed.

Mirna disappeared shortly after, Harley never heard from her again.

Actually… it was because she had moved to Hawaii, with her lover, the one who helped her rob the store…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329130-The-Story