*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010187-Our-Bonnie-Lass
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1010187 added May 14, 2021 at 8:47pm
Restrictions: None
Our Bonnie Lass


PROMPT May 14th

If animals could talk, which animal would you want to have a conversation with? What would you ask?


Ah, no thought needed here. I would talk to my favorite dog. Bonnie. *Dog2*

We lost Bonnie a few years ago. She was my friend, confidante, and walking/hiking buddy. When she passed away, I was cast adrift for several weeks. Sh’e been our dog for seventeen years.

Bonnie came into our lives after hubby had an appendectomy. I thought he needed to get out and walk, and what better reason than to take a dog. So we visited the local animal shelter and adopted ‘Sammy Jo’. And knew that name just would not suit an Airedale-mix dog.

A few thoughts came to mind, and Bonnie was one of the names we liked. So this little dog became Bonnie. Soon the dog who they claimed was full grown gained about forty more pounds and took over our lives.

She became one of the motel dogs while we lived in Gardiner. She helped greet the guests. She was my companion when I was alone at night at the motel. She went walking, fishing, hiking, and skiing with us.

When we moved to our current home, life became quieter. Still she was our walking buddy. But no more late nights and no more crowds of people. We’d retired.

If there was anything I could ask, it would be, “How was your life? Did you enjoy your time with us?” And then I’d tell her, “We loved you so much. We hope you had fun that time you saw the fox, chased the coyote, and ran from the bear. Do you remember the time Bill caught a fish and you tried to lick it? You caught your tongue on the hook and never licked another fish. And those times we went skiing as you jumped into the big snowdrifts. Do you remember the day you taught McNab that it was okay to wade in the Yellowstone River? He was afraid of the water, but you showed him it was okay for dogs to walk out into the fast-moving shallows. But the best times were when we all just sat in the living room, you on your dog bed, and we were quiet. Good memories, Bonnie.”

And then the memory of her furry face comes to me and I cry a little. I still miss my dog friend.













© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010187-Our-Bonnie-Lass