*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012128-Friday-Night-Music
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1012128 added June 19, 2021 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
Friday Night Music

As I write this, there is a soprano on PBS singing wonderful music by Rachmaninoff. But somehow I can't stop looking at her dress. It's a beauty in black, with sequins or some sort of sparkly stuff but then there is this wonderful white triangle of fabric. The contrast of the black and white is just amazing. Music is amazing. I love classical music. But then, I love all music, most all kinds.

Today I seemed to be busy. I puttered all morning. My husband is still with his family in Virginia so I'm in charge here. Again, watering the outside thirsty plants. Then it was over to the museum for a few hours. But I had to cut it short to get to a dinner by 5:00PM.

RSVP, the volunteer organization, had its recognition dinner tonight. Since I am on the advisory board, I felt it important to be there and 'show the flag', so to speak. There were quite a few volunteers and family there. One person got recognized for all her hours, over 4,000, in her lifetime. Another lady, Florence, whom I love dearly, got a special award. She is 98 years old and volunteers every day still.

It was a fun event. I sat with some friends, we always laugh a lot when we see each other. The dinner was okay, again food I cannot eat. But I did enjoy some fresh fruit and some mashed potatoes.

Now on PBS there is a show about Itzhak Perlman, the famous violinist. It begins with him playing the national anthem at a Mets baseball game. Then it jumped to his apartment, I'm sure it's an apartment if it's in NYC, and he is playing with a pianist and a cellist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itzhak_Perlman

#AmericanMastersPBS

Perlman has had polio since the age of four and now moves around in a wheelchair. He plays a violin made in 1714. A Stradivarius violin, over 300 years old. How amazing is that! In this age when we can't wait to get the newest and latest gadget, this man plays an instrument made three centuries ago. Before electricity, before cars, before central heat, before the USA, even before Mozart and Beethoven.

They show a video of this man, age thirteen, playing on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was magic. He was a virtuoso even then.

When I hear this man play the violin, I am so moved, to tears at times, and it always has been this way. It is as if he is touched by God. The sound is so pure, it is almost as if it isn't real. It is hard to believe anyone can take the raw materials of wood, catgut, and horsehair and transform those into musical notes inspired by the angels. *Music1*

'Art is a reflection of the artist,' stated his wife, Toby. 'Out of our dreams something important happens.'


© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012128-Friday-Night-Music