*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013144-Shit-Happens
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1013144 added July 6, 2021 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
Shit Happens
So... I hit a deer.

Let me just start by affirming that I was in no way injured, so people who like me can be relieved and everyone else can hope for a more desirable outcome next time.

Still, I consider myself lucky. And because I don't have much else to do right now, as I'm in a small town in South Dakota, let me explain why.

First of all: preparation.

*Bullet* As I've noted before, I'm a pessimist. This means that I can only rarely be disappointed. Expecting that bad shit will happen can keep you from freaking out when bad shit happens.

*Bullet* In terms of my mental list of Things That Could Go Wrong on a Road Trip, "Collision" is up there near the top, with the subcategory "With Bambi" similarly prominent. ("Alien Abduction" is way down near the bottom, but I can't rule it out entirely.)

*Bullet* Before I left, I made sure I had current insurance and roadside assistance coverage.

*Bullet* I tend to drive at (or maybe just a bit above) the speed limit and wear my seat belt.

*Bullet* I shouldn't have to say this, but just in case: No, I hadn't been drinking.

Second, circumstances.

While the above can be considered making my own luck, obviously there's no way to predict when an accident will occur or how bad it will be. That's why they call it an accident. But still, circumstances worked in my favor to a remarkable degree:

*Bullet* It happened less than two miles from an upcoming gas station. This is kind of amazing, since in that part of South Dakota, on non-interstates, you can go 50-60 miles without seeing a town, let alone a gas station.

*Bullet* I wasn't knocked off the road and was able to keep going to said gas station, though the car surely wouldn't have made it much further with its front end damage.

*Bullet* The air bag didn't deploy. They tell me that a couple of inches to the right and it probably would have.

*Bullet* Though yesterday was a national holiday (for y'all from other countries, when a major holiday like Independence Day falls on a Sunday, they declare the following Monday to be the actual don't-work day), the station was open.

*Bullet* The gas station had an auto mechanic, and they too were open. (Stations with mechanics are a dying breed, even in South Dakota.)

*Bullet* While they couldn't do anything for the car, they took me to a "nearby" (by SD standards) town that maybe could.

*Bullet* That shop was also staffed on a holiday. (Though not with people who could look at the car; still, they were able to arrange that for the next day.)

*Bullet* There was a rent-a-car nearby, and they were able to shuttle me there.

*Bullet* It, too, was open and staffed.

*Bullet* There are hotels near the rent-a-car, and they had vacancies.

*Bullet* The rent-a-car is at a small regional airport.

That last bit is important, because my car is 11 years old so will probably be declared a total loss, which kind of leads me back to the "preparation" part -- I always figured in an emergency, I'd arrange for a flight home.

Now, yes, I'm a bit sad about the car; it's been a good car. At the same time, it was coming up on a major expensive scheduled maintenance, and I'd been toying with the idea of buying a different one anyway. And I'm also disappointed that I won't get to see my friend in Salt Lake City or anyone else on this trip -- but there will be other trips. Shit, you don't think a little thing like totaling my car is going to stop me, do you?

Well, sure, temporarily, yes, but you know what I mean.

Oh, and I looked at prices for flights home, and even with baggage fees it's still a lot less than I was about to spend in Salt Lake City on food and lodging.

Anyway, don't feel sorry for me; like I said, I always knew this was a possibility, and I know the risks of driving (they're much higher than the risks of air travel, for example). No, save your sympathy for the poor deer. I feel really bad about her, and I really hope she didn't suffer long.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013144-Shit-Happens