*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013206-7-Mile-Hike
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1013206 added July 6, 2021 at 8:01pm
Restrictions: None
7 Mile Hike

What do you do when you have a holiday? Well, we're retired, so basically every day is a vacation. Or so we tell ourselves some days.

This time we went West and South to East Rosebud Creek. It's a little area near the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness and the Custer National Forest. There is a hike to a lake hubby heard about and wanted to try. Adventure time!

Seems a lot of other folks had the same idea. There were at least twenty cars at the trailhead when we got there. A nice cool, overcast day, perfect for a short hike. 3 1/2 miles to Elk Lake. So sure, we can do 7 miles in a day. We've done it before. We're not wheelchair-bound yet.

We met so many people, coming back to their car or passing us on the trail. One couple was at the end of their adventure with two dogs. They started three days earlier in Cooke City, about 30 miles away. Hubby shook his head as they passed. I reminded him they were probably 50 years younger than us, hence the healthy youthful glow about them. Still walking upright, still smiling as they carried those 30# packs to their car after a 30-mile hike in 3 days.

We got to the lake, with gorgeous scenery along the way. East Rosebud Creek is a protected waterway, and we saw why. Beautiful waterfall, raging water, quiet little lake.

On the return trip to the car, it started to rain. A mist at first but soon it was a pretty good little shower. I haven't walked in the rain in quite some time. No thunder, no lightning, just a gentle rain. And of course, we were soaking wet when we finished. I plan ahead and had dry clothes. My hubby, not so lucky.

So we drove out and back to Billings where we were spending the night. Appointments Tuesday, today, plus a round of provision shopping. But drama, of course. What is life without a little drama?

I lost the two pairs of reading glasses I had with me. Two. Lost. Who knows what happened to them. I had them then it was as if they took wings and flew away. Totally disappeared. So that meant no reading, no writing. I was able to do a bit of computer work, but I had planned to do so much last night. Bugger it all. And add to that the fact that I somehow wrenched my back on that little 7-mile walk. I could barely stand up straight or walk. Bugger it all again.

But now we are home, safe and sound. The glasses have been replenished. Supplies have been procured. My back is not as stiff as it was.

Perhaps tonight I can catch up. On my sleep.




© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013206-7-Mile-Hike