*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1014215-Disappointment
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1014215 added July 24, 2021 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
Disappointment?
Sober this time, another "JAFBG [XGC] prompt...

What is the most disappointing thing about 2021 so far?


That we're still numbering years and counting dates arbitrarily.

Okay, no, not really; we're too invested in the Gregorian calendar to alter it wholesale, so I just go along with it like anyone else. Still, what I'm pretty sure I said on December 31 of last year still holds true: ain't nothin' gonna change.

I mean, yeah, sure, things have changed; some change is inevitable, and that's how we know we live in reality. But, to coin a cliché, it's the kind of change that's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

On a personal level, perhaps the most disappointing thing about this year thus far is being unable to continue with my road trip. I was hoping for another two weeks or so, and to see a few other people, but as I said, shit happens.

Globally, it's the realization that no matter what needs to be done for the good of society in general, there's a good chunk of the population that will resist it without question or thought. If you figured we could all band together with a common goal, well, you sweet summer child.

Ain't nothin' gonna change. I'm just glad I didn't have kids so they could be alive when the fecal matter really starts to impact the rotating blades. Me, I hope to be gone before that happens. And it will happen; you can count on it.

Disappointing? Nah. This has been the best slide into oblivion of any doomed culture at any time in history, and I plan to ride this sucker down with a beer in my hand, a smile on my lips, and the hot wind in my hair.

Ain't I just a bundle of joy? I told you I was more fun when I've been drinking.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1014215-Disappointment