*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020450-Plot-background-story
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1020450 added October 30, 2021 at 10:44pm
Restrictions: None
Plot background story
CONTEST ROUND: Plot Background Story

Write a story that sets up your plot. EXAMPLE: The Lord of the Rings story revolves around the One Ring, its significance, and how it's destroyed. But how did Frodo get the One Ring in the first place? We learn that in The Hobbit. You obviously can't write a full-scale novel in 15 minutes, but you could write the scene where Bilbo encounters Gollum and stumbles across the ring. That would be a background story that sets up the plot in Lord of the Rings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike looked around the doctor's exam room and thought it looked like any other. There was the trash can, the hazardous waste can, sharps box, rubber gloves, a sink, a chair, the exam table he was on, tongue suppressors, cotton swabs, cabinets, and medical information all around the room such as posters on the walls and pamplets available to take home or read. The clock was ticking on the wall.

He had been called into the doctors office to get the result of a biopsy that had been performed recently. He was nervous and was hoping it was nothing, but had a feeling it might be something. He had lost a lot of weight, felt tired a lot, and felt bloated. It seemed his skin had a yellowish tint also. He thought maybe he had contracted hepatitis or something like that.

Knocking at the door, the doctor came in. “How are you feeling today Mike?”

“I am still a bit sore and bruised from the biopsy, but other than that, I am feeling okay.”

“Let me take a look at your wound to make sure it's healing properly.”

Mike pulled up his shirt and said, “Here you go. Look at it all you want too. You won't see nothin’ pretty there though.”

Chuckling, “I’ve seen it before. Remember I am the one who did the biopsy? Well, it's looking like it's healing nicely. That's good. Now I suppose you want to hear the biopsy results?”

“Well, I assume that is why I was called in here.”

“You’re right. It is. I received the report from pathology this morning. My suspicion was correct. You have a form of liver cancer called hepatocellular carcinoma. I am recommending chemotherapy and radiation to treat your cancer. I think that is our safest options. I think if we can get your cancer in remission quickly, you have a very good chance of surviving this. Do you have any questions?”

“When are you wanting to start these treatments? And how bad is it doc? This is a lot to take in on such short notice. I wasn't expecting to have cancer.”

“Many people are shocked when they receive this kind of news. It can all be kind of scary even for us men, especially when you have a family. I can understand. I am thinking of having you admitted to the hospital tomorrow so we can get the chemotherapy started and run some more tests to see if the cancer has spread to other body parts or if it's just in the liver. Once we know that, we can go forward with the plans for radiation. I would like for a friend or family member to accompany you tomorrow so they can follow your treatment with you and know when and if you may need to go to the emergency room. If we caught this soon enough, the treatments should work and we will have you back on the mend in no time.”

“Wow! Okay, when do I need to be at the hospital to check in? It will likely be my wife with me. I guess I will save any other questions for tomorrow. I need to let this sink in a little bit.”

“That is fine. I will have the nurse at the front set things up with you for the hospital. I am sorry I didn't have better news for you. Do you have any other questions?”

“Nope. I think I just want to go home right now. I don't feel so good all of a sudden.”

“You are not going to pass out on me or anything are you?”

“No, no. I just want to go home and lay down for a bit. I feel a little week in the knees is all. I can't believe I have cancer. Are you sure, doc?”

“Unfortunately, The test results are very clear. You have cancer. Here, let me walk you to the front desk.”

---------------------------------


After Mike made the arrangements with the nurse for the hospital the next day, he went out and climbed into the driver's seat of his vehicle. He turned the car on and just sat there for a moment feeling stunned. How was his beautiful wife, Ruth, going to take this? He has to survive this thing to take care of her. Who would care for her if something happened to him? They were just in their forties. This wasn’t supposed to happen to good people like them.

----------------------------------


Mike pulled into his driveway with tears stinging his eyes and threatening to roll down his cheeks. He had to admit to himself that he was afraid. Now he had to tell his wife. He didn't even remember how he got home.

As Mike walked in the living room where Ruth was sewing a hem on one of her dresses, She knew something was wrong by the look on his face. “Hi, Honey, what did the doctor say?”

Mike cleared his throat, “I have cancer.” It was felt strange hearing that come from his own mouth.

“What? Oh no! What are they going to do about it?”

“I hope you don't have any plans tomorrow because I will be admitted to the hospital for treatment and further testing. I will need you there. The doctor says he wants someone to be with me to go over my plan of care.”

“Did they say what kind of treatment they were going to give you?”

“They said something about taking chemotherapy and radiation. I don't know all the details. They will give us more information tomorrow at the hospital.” He felt so drained and didn't want to talk about it anymore. He put his arm around her and pulled her close to him and kissed her on her forehead. “Its going to be okay. We will get through this. The doctor thinks it was caught early enough and believes I will survive with treatment.”

“I love you and don't want you to die. The treatment has got to work. I need you.” A tear rolled down her cheek.

They stood there holding one another for a long time.

(Little do they know, The cancer will take Mike's life within six months.)


a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020450-Plot-background-story