*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024638-The-Temple-of-the-Emerald-Buddha
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2264475
Random Writing, Blogs and Adventures
#1024638 added January 14, 2022 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
The Temple of the Emerald Buddha
I visited Thailand awhile back and got a chance to go all over the country. For this week's entry...I'm taking the opportunity to reminisce about a location on the trip!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


One of many great sights to see in Bangkok, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is a popular tourist destination. As the name suggests the Temple's main attraction is beautiful Jade Buddha statue. The statue's origin can be traced to at least the 1400s. Legend has it that the artifact was discovered when Lightning struck a stone monument revealing this Buddha statue inside. A valuable treasure...The Statue would wind up being moved around the Country eventually winding up in the capital.

Thailand has the highest Buddhist population in the world with 93% of the country practicing that religion. In Thai Culture Buddha images are viewed as sacred offering protection to the people nearby them. Likewise the Emerald Buddha is believed to protect the city of Bangkok.

Another interesting bit of trivia is that the outfit the Emerald Buddha is wearing changes base on the Season. Thailand has three seasons a Summer Season, A Rainy Season and a Cold Season. These outfit changes for the Buddha are actually performed by the King of Thailand himself. He switches them to correspond with the current season Thailand is undergoing.

Image of the Buddha


In addition to the temple's namesake there are a few other sights to take in while you are there. The temple's architecture is spectacular. There are golden buildings decorated with colorful tiles and gigantic statues depicting the demons of Thai literature. A section of the temple has a Gorgeous set of murals depicting scenes from one of Thailand's Legendary stories the Ramakien. You see Gods, Demons, and Monkeys facing off with Mermaids and Thunderbirds thrown into the mix.

If you are ever in Bangkok... This temple is a must see!!!

© Copyright 2022 KingsSideCastle (UN: kingscastle1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
KingsSideCastle has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024638-The-Temple-of-the-Emerald-Buddha