*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028158-A-Golden-Morning-of-Promise
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#1028158 added March 4, 2022 at 9:54am
Restrictions: None
A Golden Morning of Promise
(Written offline, during one of my increasingly frequent internet outages. No matter. I’ll upload it when online again.)

Boy, that’s a fancy-sounding name, isn’t it? Sounds like one of those Amish romances (“Bonnet rippers”, I call them) that are so popular with certain library patrons. But it reflects on a conversation I was having with a family member yesterday morning. Like yesterday, it promises to be warm and pleasant, a welcome break from the chilly rainy days we’ve had this winter. Not to mention those bright and clear but bitterly cold days, when the wind makes your eyes water. I know it’s only the beginning of March and there’s still cold weather ahead, but I’ll take this little bit of relief while I can. It’s going to be a beautiful day and with the internet out until possibly this evening, I have no excuse not to be productive here around the house. There’s plenty that was left undone while I was babying my ankle over the winter.

As I was telling my aunt, you can tell by the quality of the sunlight when the day is going to be a lovely one. It takes on a golden sheen that begins as soon as the sun clears the horizon and seems to cry, “Come outside! Come outside!” And I will heed that invitation, hopefully I can open the windows again as I did yesterday and let some of the fresh air in. Even the cat was frolicking on the porch more than usual when I fed him before dawn.

I have done very little writing during the winter…the aforementioned ankle issue kept me in the recliner when not working, trying to get over the slow-healing wound that’s plagued me now for months. Been doing plenty of reading, however, which is the second-most important activity for a writer-to-be. Much of the reading has been revisiting Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” series, along with books and stories attached to it. With a very few exceptions I’ve read all of this material before, multiple times in some cases. Others, like Insomnia, are only my second read. And in the case of Insomnia, likely to be the last for the foreseeable future–how sai King kept from putting himself to sleep while writing that one, I’ll never know.

The newscasts of these days are filled with words I haven’t heard in decades. “Nuclear”. “Alert”. “Radiation”. I will forgo all the politics and long-winded posturing because there’s plenty engaged in that, and many of them don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. I’ll just go on hoping that the crisis will pass eventually, and go away along with the murdering bastard that initiated it. And if not…well, we all will be tested. I should probably discuss this in a seperate blog post; I’ve rambled on long enough for now.

That golden early morning sunlight is shifting into bright early spring daylight, and the clock is ticking. Time to get busy.

© Copyright 2022 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028158-A-Golden-Morning-of-Promise