*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031314-Sixth-week-of-the-New-Year
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1031314 added May 1, 2022 at 4:57pm
Restrictions: None
Sixth week of the New Year
*Poseyr* 25 *Sun*

I survived my first week in Portugal. The day dawns sunny and chilly.

Today is the commemoration of the Carnation Revolution, April 25, 1974.

Big celebrations in Lisboa and Porto but here? This is a tourist town.

It's Eight-O-Eight and the denizens of the dorm slowly wake.

Carmen's in her kitchen opening up the day; breakfast starts at half past the sunny hour. Soon.

Talked to Yannick (Holland) about 'governance'.

Lay down for awhile. Never a great idea. Now late. Cooling. Saw Andrea who I met in Lisboa. She's staying here.

*Poseyy* 26 *Clouds*

Some rain, some sun.

Went to Praia Batata close-by. Sat on the beach, took notes.

Good-bye to Raphaela, now Andrea.

Lunch with Evelyn. We split a pastel.

Bought a bifana downstairs. 2,50 euros.

More energy today but now I want to nap.

*Poseyp* 27 *Sun*

Beautiful morning. Evelen is going to Cabo Sagres. I don't have the energy.

Olga leaves for Faro.

People come and go.

I'm sitting at the round white table looking out at ships. The pink plastic tulips are waving in the breeze.

Walked to Praia Meia. No sunscreen but I didn't burn. Long sunny walk to a wide sandy swimming beach.

*Poseyv* 28 *Sun*

My nerves are going. Computer is acting up. Must makes plans and/or change flights back. I'm glad I booked the first 12 days so I didn't have to think.

To all the Dutch:

Shimmer of water, white wake of a passing boat, white wings of gulls, white canopies shining in the sun's glare. The palms offer spare shadows at noon, their fronds caressing the breeze and me ... seated behind the window all day, reluctant to leave.

Oh where, oh where are the red geraniums hidden, begging me to stay?

Lagos, Portugal.


Finally got my salada de polvo. *Bigsmile*

Impossible to chat with Evelyn this evening due to very loud South American men. Portuguese men can be very loud as well. It's as if they only know how to shout.

*Poseyb* 29 *Sun*

Day of Beauty... tomorrow.

Sunny. Sat with Real (Netherlands). We sorted things out. Booked 3 nights in Faro in Faroway.

Still taking it slooow.

Why I worry about the US: "The result was an ethnic nationalism sanctified by religion as it established a new "holy trinity" of "freedom, order and violence," meted out variously to in-groups and out."

Exhausted by walk to/fro to get groceries at Pingo Doce. Lay down. Skipped dinner. Folks drank... a lot.

*PoseyO* 30 *Sun*

Off to Faro. Staying at Faroway.

Caught the train in time at Evelyn's urging. We had pulled pork (dry imho) when we arrived. No problem walking directly to hostel. No upper beds here. We shall see about noise.

It's after 3 p.m. so I should take a walk.

Ran into Evelyn. Bought fresh squeezed orange juice and ham. Ran into Joao, the owner, too.

Watched a bit of a detective movie subtitled in Portuguese.

Now I need coffee.

*Poseyy* M1 *Sun*

Room was very dark and quiet. A surprise. Ate my pasteis de feijao... and coffee. Always coffee. Met a group of Italians that live in Lisboa, two Danes.

Watched the swallows swooping.

Room tonight: Portuguese, Italian (Brescia), German (East), Norwegian (Oslo). 5 of us.

Some folks only stay in Faro for a night to catch the plane back home.

Found Hostel Madalena. Nice chat with Adrian.

Evelyn invited me out to dinner. She had robalo. I ate cod and shrimp. She leaves tomorrow.

5737

© Copyright 2022 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031314-Sixth-week-of-the-New-Year