*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056954-Oct-2023-prep-day-7---contest-round
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1056954 added October 7, 2023 at 9:37pm
Restrictions: None
Oct 2023 prep day 7 - contest round
Oct. 7: - Character: CONTEST ROUND: Protagonist Background Story ▼
Write a story about your protagonist that takes place outside of your novel. Make your readers relate to him or her in such a way that we would be devastated if he or she were to experience conflict (which, ultimately, sometime in November, he/she will.) The object of the contest is to make your judges root for your protagonist! Simply put: the character we like best wins. If your protagonist is a drug dealer or someone similarly ""unlikeable"" (a.k.a, an ""anti-hero""), never fear! I love Vlad Taltos, the professional assassin. You can make us love your character, too.

*Contest Round entries may be any rating. Submit your ITEM or ENTRY number by 1200 noon WDC time on Sunday to compete. WDC time is New York City time and can be found at the top of the IM Console. If you miss this deadline or choose not to compete, you must still log the assignment complete (without linking your work) for the grand prize, per the standard Prep guidelines.



Just as Randy looked up from eating his lunch, he saw some men riding up to the house. "Hey, Dad! We have some visitors."

"Alright son, let's go see what they want!" His dad replied and then stepped out onto the porch. With a smile he said, "Hello! Strangers! Who are you and what do you want here?"

One man spoke up. "Don't you worry about who we are! We are going to take some supplies."

"Mister, I don't mind sharing what the good Lord has given me. There is no need to be hostile about it." Randy's dad said.

The stranger jeered back, "There ain't no need to get all religious on me neither! Boys, go take what we need!"

The men that were with the stranger, spread out towards to house and barn. They began to take what they wanted. Randy and his dad just stood there and watched as the stranger had them at gun point.

Randy's dad said, "It's not right to go around just taking a man's hard-earned belongings like that!"

The stranger took his gun and shot him in the gut, "And that's how much I care about what's right and wrong, Mister!" He just laughed and called his men to move on.

"Dad! No! You are going to be fine! We will have Doc Banks fix you right up!", Randy said to his dad as a tear escaped the corner of his eye.

His dad looked back into his son's eyes and grimaced in pain. Gritting his teeth, he said, "Son! Listen! No one survives a shot in the gut like this! I am dying. I can feel it. Tell your mother that I am sorry and that I love her. Promise me you will take care of her and the ranch."

"But Dad..." He tried to argue. "We need you here. You have got to make it."

His dad reasoned with him. "Randy, I need to know you will take care of your mom and the ranch when I am gone! I am growing weaker by the minute!"

"Yes! Yes! You know I will! Don't say that!"

His dad began to cough up some blood. "Good! Now I can rest easy! You take good care of her! I love you, boy!"

Randy took his shirt off and was trying to wipe the blood away from his dad's face. "I love you too, Dad! I love you too! Please, don't die!"

All he could do is watch in horror as his dad fought for his breath over the next few minutes. He tried to clear the blood from his dad's airways, but it was no use. Finally, his dad took his last breath.


a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2023 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056954-Oct-2023-prep-day-7---contest-round