*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060554-Coffe-Morning-Tudor-Lyric
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #2287156
poems for Poetry Place
#1060554 added December 5, 2023 at 4:45am
Restrictions: None
Coffe Morning Tudor Lyric



Coffe Morning Tudor Lyric


Coffee morning.
Makes goodmorning.
Avoid forewarning.
Watching the news.
Evening drink wine.
Makes it all fine.
My wife is mine.
Feeling the blues.

Starting the day
The blues at bay
Go out to play
Turn off tv
too much sadness
too much madness
Too much badness
Not enough glue

The Tudor Lyric is an ancient English stanza form consisting of eight lines per stanza, four syllables per line, with a rhyme scheme of aaabcccb dddefffe, etc., as described and demonstrated in the following link: https://www.poetrymagnumopus.com/topic/2177-the-tudor-lyric/

• Tudor Lyric is a stanzaic form found in Shapes of Our Singing by Canadian poet, author, and educator Robin Skelton. Skelton described the form as a popular choice of 16th-century English poets. He believed it was influenced by the ancient Welsh meter, Rhupunt, possibly brought to the court under the reign of King Edward I when the Welsh were placed under English law. Skelton cited Sir Thomas Wyatt as one who often used this form although I was unable to find a single example of its use in the anthologies, I have available. My medieval library needs expansion.
The elements of the Tudor Lyric as described by Robin Skelton are:
1. stanzaic, written in any number of octaves.
2. accentual verse with 2 stresses and 4 syllables per line.
3. rhymed, aaabcccb dddefffe, etc.

Silenced by Judi Van Gorder

With scratchy throat
I can't emote
or even quote
the note out loud.
So soon to bed
the tome unread
I lay my head
upon a cloud.

• The Tudor Lyric also refers to any English poetry of the 16th century which could be set to music. The period spanned the reign of the line of Tudors. Poetry during this time was often sung, usually accompanied by a lyre. Interestingly all Tudors, except Edward, were musical. Henry VIII and Elizabeth both wrote music, played instruments, and sang their compositions for the royal court. Many lyrics of Henry VIII have been documented. The classic, Greensleeves has even been attributed to Henry although the true author remains unknown. Some believe he wrote it while he was moving on from Ann Boleyn.

The English royal court of that time was where the arts flourished although early on in the competitive, romantic atmosphere, literature was often clichéd and patronizing of the royal family. It also was often a means to gain social or political favor. Much of Robert Sidney's work was written while in exile and his poetry was his way of trying to get back into the King's good graces.

Some prominent poets of the era were Sir Thomas Wyatt, Henry Howard Earl of Surrey, Sir Philip Sidney, Sir Edmund Spencer, Sir Walter Raleigh, Christopher Marlow, William Shakespeare, and John Donne. The form of writing was varied, sonnets, cinquains, odes, blank verse, and many of the French and Italian forms were experimented with in English.
© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (UN: jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JCosmos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060554-Coffe-Morning-Tudor-Lyric