*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064021-Poor-Eddie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #2313902
Can a trio of shipwrecked newbies help preserve Dinotopia's legendary peace and harmony?
#1064021 added April 5, 2024 at 8:34pm
Restrictions: None
Poor Eddie
    At lunch, an animated discussion arose among Phil, Bob and some of their friends as they were finishing up eating.  "I've heard about recent Dolphinbacks who have seen this Jurassic Park.  I'll tell you; they have a much harder time adjusting than have others previously."

    "I've heard this too.  It's a crying shame," said another.

    Phil piped up:  "Really?  What about me?  I've seen all the Jurassic movies, and yet I'm quite on board with the dinos here."

    "Yet how many hungry carnivores have you actually encountered, Phil?" ...

    At that moment, a rugged man approached the table.  "Are you Phil Davis?"

    "Yes, that's me."

    I'm James, Stephanie's dad and the convoy captain.  We need to go and see the Matriarch at once.  I'll explain on the way."

    "This sounds serious," Phil said to Bob.  "Please take care of the station until I get back."

    "It's about your friend Eddie."

    Phil stopped dead in his tracks, clutching his lowered head while moving images of a T-rex and a certain unfortunate lawyer flashed within.

    "Arrgh!  Please don't tell me it's..."

    "No, nothing like that.  Eddie is very much alive and here with our convoy.  He's not physically hurt, just shaken up."

    "What happened?"

    "It's best you hear it from him.  But first I must arrange for his stay here."

    "Matriarch Esmeralda, I'm James the convoy captain, and of course you know Phil.  A recent incident has profoundly affected our new guard, Eddie Mastroakis.  With your blessing I'd like to have Eddie remain here where he could find rest and recovery."

    "That's what Treetown is for!" she agreed.  "Not just for the kids.  I'll make sure that Eddie gets whatever he needs."

    "And also, please have Phil available to encourage him."

    Phil found this request rather a stretch -- "I'm a meteorologist, not a shrink."

    "Actually, it was Eddie's healer who recommended you, Phil.  Friends who have been through shipwreck together have a unique bond with the power to pull each other through."

    "Well, if they think so, I'd be happy to help -- if I can."

    James, of course, felt happy about securing such assistance for his guard.  "Thank you, Esmeralda.  Now, Phil, let's go and see your friend Eddie.  He's in the Brach barn, helping with the armor.  Just don't expect the Eddie you've known -- he's a broken man."

    The walk to the barn would have been quite enjoyable in better circumstances.  It's a paradise path surrounded with tropical foliage, shaded by overhead branches, with brightly colored birds singing.  Yet neither James nor Phil said much as they approached the Brach barn.  Inside, the convoy crew busied themselves relieving their Brachiosaur mounts of their armor.  And there was Eddie, working with -- of course -- ropes and winches to lift away the steel plates.  Catching sight of him, Phil quickened his pace.  "Eddie, my salty old friend, how are you?"  Eddie could only manage a hollow stare.  "Oh, I'm sorry, that was dumb of me to ask with you in such pain.  Would you like to talk about it?"  In response, a low moan.  "Hey, for months now you've been working with these Brachs while never seeing what else they can do.  As soon as you can get away from here, come down to the lake and I'll show you their fun side."

    At the lake, youths were climbing onto the Brachs. These would then toss the kids into the refreshing water below.  Phil sat on a nearby bolder, taking in the scene.  It wasn't long before Eddie arrived.  "I'm sure glad they let you go early.  All work and no play make Eddie a dull boy.  Hey, want to try it?"

    "Nah."

    "How about if I go first?"  With that, Phil took off his shoes and climbed a Brach's tail.  As soon as he reached the creature's head, the Brach flung him right into the lake, clothes and all, with a "Kush!"  Swimming then wading ashore, Phil said to Eddie: "Now it's your turn."  Eddie removed his boots and made his climb.  Presently they're standing on the shore, soaked and smelling rather like wet dog -- a description, of course, which would be lost upon Treetown's other residents.

    "That was fun, let's do it again."  And so they went, Phil and Eddie, having more fun than the kids.
© Copyright 2024 bricabrach (UN: bricabrach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bricabrach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064021-Poor-Eddie