*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064029-Coming-Together
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #2313902
Can a trio of shipwrecked newbies help preserve Dinotopia's legendary peace and harmony?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1064029 added April 10, 2024 at 5:37pm
Restrictions: None
Coming Together
    Soon the convoy arrived at Sauropolis, which had arranged a parade in their honor.  "So what else is new?" quipped James.  There were marching musicians and dancers, followed by elaborately decorated saurians of all kinds.  The convoy's squadron of Skybax contributed an air show over the parade, after which the pterosaurs retired to the Sauropolis rookery while their Riders joined the reception.  And the armored Brachs made their way to their barn.  Neither they nor the Skybax would be needed for the remaining leg of the journey.  "Now I wish I were a Rider!" said Bob.  "They get to have a vacation here while we travel to the Dragonfly Coast and work."
"You liberty hound!" remarked George.
The convoy crew designated their largest wagon as the lead wagon.  In this one James, Eddie, Bob, and Becky would ride.  They installed the winch and basket from one of the Brachs to raise and lower Becky as needed.  The rest of the wagons were resupplied with provisions, and they borrowed two more wagons to carry crew which previously rode upon the Brachs.

      Once everything was ready, they departed Sauropolis -- and before long the question familiar to every family on a road trip arose:  "What do you think?  Should we stop here?"  Only in this case it was the Black Fish Tavern, and word passed around whether they should visit for some -- er -- refreshment.  As they pondered the matter, the decision was made for them by dozens of rowdy pirate types and snarling saurians pouring out to confront them. The convoy stopped in its tracks.  Several Trikes moved up and made a line abreast with the lead wagon, part of the standard defense protocol.  Becky signaled she needed to work, James approved, and Eddie lowered the basket for her.  She trotted right up to the apparent leader of the motley group, who featured the salient attributes of a pirate.  Eddie couldn't help but remark, "This is what we do for a hangry T. rex.  How will she handle a crowd of ill-minded humans?"

    "Greetings!"  Beckey said in her best human speech.  "We're happy to meet you on our mission duly authorized by the Habitat Ministry in Sauropolis.  We request your accommodation in securing safe passage along the Dolphin Bay southward to the Dragonfly Coast, then eastward toward our destination near Turtletail Point.  We assure you that our intentions harmonize..."
The leader unsheathed his sword, pointing it at Becky's face -- yet she valiantly continued her speech.  The convoy from Eddie to the Trikes grew alarmed, feeling the need to act.  James the captain, however, gave them the sign to stand down.  He whispered to Eddie, "You need not worry about this pirate using his sword, for we've seen this fake intimidation stuff before. Notice how Becky is ignoring him.  She knows."
Becky continued, reciting prodigious legalities and precedents.  Eddie asked James, "What in the world is she doing?"
"I suspect she's using her saurian wisdom.  The idea is to get this pirate to reveal what he really wants, without going ahead and asking."
As Becky droned on, the man grew impatient.  He lowered his sword, turned to the convoy and addressed them out loud: "Avast!  This is our territory, and our treasure -- which by the looks of things, yer fixing to plunder in yer boats and fill yer wagons."  Waving his sword, he continued:  "Belay yer grubby plans or we slice ye awl ta ribbons!"
Bob mumbled, "The pot's calling the kettle..."
"Shhh!"
Back in the second wagon, George remarked, "Those Dryptosauruses really do have spike collars."
The pirate continued, "What sort of blokes are ye, sending this little dino to do a man's job?  Is there any one among you brave enough to step down here and dignify me?"

    Eddie consulted with James: "I know some of this crowd.  Let me speak with them."
James let him go, figuring it wouldn't hurt to try while considering the alternative.  Becky returned to the wagon and Bob brought her inside while Eddie stepped out to face the mob
"Yes," said Eddie.  "We are looking for treasure, yet of a different kind.  We're fishers, serving the greater good by bringing in fish for the carnivorous dinosaurs all over the island.  This is the treasure which can feed life and save lives.  Look in our boats -- you don't go hunting worldly treasure with fishing poles and nets, do you?  I'm Eddie, a convoy guard. And over there is George, a fisherman from Windy Point.  What's your name?
"They call me Flint."
Well, Flint, I see among your group several I've met at the Tavern.  They can vouch for me.  Here's the deal.  The fishing at Windy Point has gone south.  We need fish to keep the carnivores well-fed and happy, or who knows where they will go or what they will eat.  The Rainy Basin's edge is only about fifty knots over yonder behind us.  Do you think the carnivores won't hunt their way down here?  How well would you fit inside a T. rex?  Or would you rather make raptor chow?  Really, you and your swabs would be most useful helping us to set us up and get the fish flowing back where we came."

    "Stow yer cover story, mate!"  Flint made a sign to his closest men and immediately they grabbed Eddie, tying back his hands.  Then he barked:  "All right Eddie if that be yer name.  Ye shall run the gauntlet till we beat the truth out of you!"  He pushed Eddie into the midst of the crowd.

    Both Eddie and the convoy braced for the awful beating that never came.  Instead it was like, "Eddie, my friend.  How's convoy life treating you?"
"Fine, Pedro.  How's the new baby?  Hey Davey, did you finish your boat yet?
"Yes, Eddie, and you should see it, she's a beauty!"  And so forth, all down the line.  Moved by this display, Flint went and found the prominent ones in his group. He consulted with several of them while sizing up the situation.

    Meanwhile, James commended Becky for her bravery.
To which she replied, "Compared to staring into the jaws of a T. rex, this was nothing!"
"What's the secret of the saurian wisdom were you using?"
"To be honest, our convoy training is for hungry carnivores, not greedy humans.  I just wanted to distract that pirate long enough for your group to figure out what to do next.  And Eddie's doing great with it!"
Flint finished with his friends and turned to address the convoy:  "We 'ave decided.  Ye can only pass if ye stop an feel the hospitality ov our Tavern!"  And the next thing we found ourselves there, trying our best not to get drunk while George had the whole place singing sea shanties.  The saurians among them not only didn't mind -- rather they also joined in.  Even Becky found a good time conversing with the Dryptosaur wait staff who were happy to find she spoke their language.  Flint was so impressed with whole experience that he assembled a small cohort of volunteers from his friends to join the convoy south and help with setting things up.

    They left early next morning.  After another day of travel, the convoy arrived at the chosen spot on the Dragonfly Coast.  With this unexpected boost from the Tavern crew, they quickly had the smoker ready to go while the boats launched from their trailers.  George's boat was out first, and it wasn't long before they were hauling in fish.  Others from the crew cleared the brush from a suitable area about one neck away from the shore, where they erected the tents which would afford temporary housing for the Dragonfly fishers.  They all enjoyed a sumptuous meal of fresh, tasty fruits, nuts, and fine bakery items straight from Sauropolis.  I believe some partook of freshly fried fish -- and really, how could anyone make a fuss about it?
Bob spoke with George:  "You know, this is all about the lives bringing life."
"Yes, certainly the lives of the fish we catch serve to preserve every carnivore's life, in turn saving our lives too."
"That may be true -- but really, I'm speaking of Phil, Eddie, and yourself.  If that engine fire hadn't brought the three of you here, I don't know if we could have come up with this solution on our own -- so you're the lives bringing life."
"Bob, you really know how to make a guy feel good."

    The group conversed some more and sang songs, after which it was time to retire for the night.  By noon the next day, everything was up and working. After a fine lunch, the wagons were pressed into service to ferry the Black Fish Tavern crew to their homes.  In two days and one night, that mob of faceless enemies had become dear friends in true Dinotopian fashion.  When the wagons made their way back to Dragonfly Coast, included were a few suspicious jugs marked with three footprints.  "Bob," Eddie said.  "I think we need a drink."

    The convoy, minus the boats and fishing crew, began its return trip.  After a full day's journey, it made its way into Sauropolis.  The next day, their Skybax complement, their armored Brachs -- and of course, another parade -- were waiting.
Justin asked Bob about his travel to the coast, at which Bob gushed:  "It was such an eventful journey!  I thought for sure we were goners when this pirate crowd from the Black Fish Tavern made trouble for us.  But they knew Eddie, and soon we had a great time drinking and singing in the Tavern.  Setting up on the Coast was a blast, George was pulling in one after another, we enjoyed our new friends as well as the trip back here."
Justin began feeling a bit jealous.  "Us Riders lazed around and saw a few sights, but your group got the better deal for adventure.  All the pomp and circumstance of Sauropolis gets boring fast."
"Well, Justin, I've got something which might help.  When we brought the Tavern crew back home, they gifted us some of this."  Bob produced a jug for Justin.  "This will cure whatever ails you."

    After thanking Bob, Justin asked: "Hey, got any smoked fish in these wagons?"
"Of course!"How about we each grab a basket full, and you follow me to the rookery where you can meet Misty my Skybax partner.  You can feed her -- she'll be most happy with it as long as I'm with you."
"Sure, that sounds like fun!"  Bob had never seen a Quetzalcoatlus skybax up close, and the experience was unforgettable.  Yet his first wonder remained the awesome power of the weather.  Like Stephanie, he wanted to uncover all its secrets.

    The next morning, the convoy got ready for departure.  Loaded this time with newly smoked fish from Operation Dragonfly, they brought their life-saving cargo northward while making several deliveries until reaching Treetown.  The convoy had ended where it began, having accomplished its mission.  It certainly was cause for rejoicing and a much-needed rest.  Yet this success was only the beginning.  There was yet more work to accomplish.  In the coming months, another convoy would carry two more boats south to expand the Dragonfly fishing fleet.  Materials to construct housing for the crew and their families was furnished along with carpenters to build it all.  Supply chains were readjusted so that Windy Point served a small area nearby, while most of Dinotopia relied on the new fishing grounds.  It was George and Phil who recommended they keep the Windy Point fishery open, as a small yet going concern.  "Really, they should never have closed Dragonfly Coast those many years ago," they agreed.  Phil noted, "As the climate continues to change, the fish presently down there might move further South, away from their reach.  Then hopefully, another species which prefers even warmer temps may migrate toward Windy Point waters.  This way we're prepared for whatever comes."  If there was anything Phil knew, it's that one must be prepared for whatever the weather brings.  Having grown up on the East Coast of the United States, he was accustomed to joking: "If you don't like the weather -- wait a minute!"

    George remained on the Coast, sending Phil glowing letters.  Now the jokes and funny stories were back.  Eddie stayed with the convoy crew, enjoying the land adventure as if at sea.  Becky received a medal honoring her fearless service.  Justin easily made Apprentice Rider, and later Phil travelled to Canyon City to provide Stephanie and the station crew advanced training.  And yes, while there Phil got to attend Stephanie and Justin's wedding.  Bric's widow Jennifer retired to Treetown where she became especially fond of the youths, dunking them in the lake and helping with their farm chores.  Bob kept up with his meteorology training and eventually got assigned to apprentice at the farthest weather station at Dolphin Bay.  It would have been a lonely gig except for the new fishing installation nearby.  And he could even visit the Black Fish Tavern "occasionally" -- that's code for, "whenever he wanted."  Phil thought, "I'm sure glad Bob went there instead of me.  That Black Fish Tavern really would have eaten me alive!"  Phil reflected on these eventful months with his shipmates.  It recalled some research the Peace Corps had done -- where they found that about six months into a profound change is when doubt and depression hits.  This in fact had become the pattern for Phil as well as his friends.  The happy early days, where everything seemed so perfect.  Then once their initial euphoria faded, they experienced the misery and despair endurable only with the help of their friends.  Finally, the climb to recovery.  And their up, down, then up again relationship with the saurians -- Phil, George, and Eddie appreciated them more than ever.  "Dinosaurs were once alive all over the earth," thought Phil.  "During that time, they took good care of the planet.  Which is more than I can say for us modern humans!"  Yet in Dinotopia he had found a new life, where he helped mitigate the dire results of his old one.

    Passing by one day, the same two Treetowners spoke with each other:
"Hey, isn't that Phil?"
"Yes, sure as day it's him. Looks like he's lost his Dolphinback glow."
"Did he fall too far from his former height?"
"Not at all.  In fact, I'd say now that he's quite the Dinotopian."

    And this, my friends, is how it's supposed to work.

         THE END
© Copyright 2024 bricabrach (UN: bricabrach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bricabrach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064029-Coming-Together