*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064723-20240223-Telling-Stories-Everywhere
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1064723 added February 23, 2024 at 3:54am
Restrictions: None
20240223 Telling Stories Everywhere
A Different Sort Of Story

People often ask me why I did professional wrestling (and for some of my exploits, well, "Ring Rusted). Was it the physicality? The chance to entertain? The joy of slamming a grown man back first onto the ground? Getting hit by a chair? Bleeding everywhere? Yes... to all.

But there is something else, something that only fans might realise.

A wrestling match is a story. It's fine to do moves and be impressive, but unless you tell a story in that ring, unless your match is part of a greater story, the crowd will not be invested. Even an awful match can keep a crowd rapt if the story is strong enough. I give you Hulk Hogan v Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III. The match was terrible, but the story of Andre turning on Hogan to get a shot at that title and Hogan struggling to slam the largest athlete in the USA had 93000 (allegedly, let's say the real number was closer to 80,000, but that is still a huge crowd) people in attendance. The story, that one story, drew them into that arena.

Then there is my favourite Wrestlemania match ever, from Wrestlemania VII (and we're about to hit #40 in April this year) - Randy Savage v Ultimate Warrior. Savage came into the (then) WWF as a bad guy (heel), an arrogant heel with amazing skills. After WM3, though he slowly became a good guy. See, he was always accompanied by Miss Elizabeth, a very pretty lady. And some other bad guys tried to harm her, so Savage fought them, but the numbers advantage was theirs. Enter Hulk Hogan, champion and all-round good guy (face). He helped Savage and they formed a team - the MegaPowers.

Then, through shenanigans, Hogan lost the title and it was held up, to be fought at a tournament at WM4. Savage won the title, and there he was, soaking in the adoration of everyone, Miss Elizabeth on his shoulder, the crowd loving him. There were many trials and tribulations over the next year, and Hogan grew closer and closer to Miss Elizabeth and Savage lost it, so at WM5, the MegaPowers exploded, and Hogan had one of his best career matches when he beat Savage for the title. Savage stalked away... leaving Elizabeth as well.

Savage soon won the title of King of the Ring, and became the Macho King, taking on Sensational Sherri as his valet, Elizabeth disappearing. Hogan would go on to WM6 for another of his very best matches when he faced Ultimate Warrior for the title. Warrior defeated him, winning his first world title. However, on the undercard, Savage and Sherri faced Dusty Rhodes and a non-wrestler named Sapphire. Rhodes brought out Miss Elizabeth in their corner and she helped Rhodes and Sapphire win in what was a truly terrible match, but one that, again, had the crowd in the palm of their hand.

Savage had fallen to the absolute bottom of the pit, the lowest of the low, losing to a non-wrestler, and an overweight, over-the-hill wrestler.

At the Royal Rumble the next year, Savage asked for a title shot of the winner of the Sgt Slaughter-Ultimate Warrior match. Warrior told him never. So, in the middle of the match, Savage belted Warrior in the head with a sceptre, costing Warrior the match and his title.

Thus we come to WM7. Warrior v Savage. Career v career. Loser retires. Warrior's best ever match; my favourite WM match. And the match told its own story. Warrior worked Savage over slowly and methodically, but every time he tried a higher risk move, Savage took the advantage, using Warrior's emotions against him. After a great match, Warrior won. But it wasn't over. Sherri saw that her meal ticket was gone and she attacked Savage, already beaten senseless by Warrior. Miss Elizabeth came out the crowd and made the save.

In the middle of the ring, Savage and Elizabeth reunited. People in the crowd were literally crying. Long term story telling - the rise, fall and redemption of a beloved wrestler, culminating in the release of genuine emotion.

Does that story sound familiar? Like, maybe, the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in the first 6 Star Wars films?

Stories are our bread and butter. We write the stories for others to enjoy. But do not sell short the stories of all the arts (and, yes, professional wrestling is an art - a violent art, but that is what it is). Everything can tell a story. And we should be open to it all.


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064723-20240223-Telling-Stories-Everywhere