*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065541-C1-Curious-and-Curiouser
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2313376
Wonderland 2024
#1065541 added March 4, 2024 at 12:42pm
Restrictions: None
C1 Curious and Curiouser!


C1. "Curious and Curiouser!" – History can be boring. So, it’s up to you to spice things up for us. Pick any person in history. Write up a short story about this person with titles as ridiculous as “Ghengis Khan Gets a New Haircut”. In other words, make it fun! (<1000 words)

Abe and Mary Shop For a Bed

Abe and Mary walked into the store, in the midst of a discussion.

“I want it comfy, like sleeping on a cloud.”

“It needs to be long enough, so I can stretch out.”

“No, a cloud,” Mary argued.

“We’ll measure it to be sure.” Abe stated emphatically.

A clerk approached the couple. “How may I be of assistance today?”

“We need a new bed.” A petite lady stated this fact as she glanced at the tall man beside her.

“You have definitely come to the right place. Houser Furniture can provide just the right fit for your needs. James Houser here. May I show you some choices?”

“We’ll choose based on comfort,” Mary said.

“And that is just what we sell here at Houser Furniture. Comfort and design just made for you. Perhaps this style would work?”

James Houser steered the couple in the direction of a mahogany four poster bed with a wool stuffed mattress.

Mary sat on the edge, then laid on the bed. “How much?”

“That bed would be $20. Sheets are extra.”

Abe looked around, pointed to an iron bed frame. “And the cost of this one?”

Houser checked the tag. “That one is $5.00. But the mattress is made of straw and is an extra charge of $2.00.”

Abe sat on the iron bed, then laid on it, feet hanging at least six inches over the end. “Too short. Do you have one that is longer?”

“No sir, that is the only size that is made.” James Houser glanced at the tall thin man lying on the bed, with his large boots hanging over the edge.

Mary again said, “We’ll choose a comfortable one. I like this one. Soft as a cloud.” She perched on the edge of the wooden bed, then rolled about. “Try this one, Abe.”

Abe gave a sigh, then joined Mary on the mahogany four poster bed with the mattress stuffed with wool. The image of Mary's petite round body next to Abe’s tall thin frame gave James Houser an idea of Jack Sprat and his wife of the children’s rhyme. But quickly he tried to close the sale.

“I think you made the right choice. Can I arrange delivery for this bed?”

Mary curled her body about Abe. “Please? Oh, pretty please. It’s a most wondrous bed.”

Again the tall thin man sighed, long and hard. No sense starting another war about it.

“Fine, Mr. Houser. You can deliver this to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Just have the delivery men ask for Mrs.Mary Todd Lincoln.”

James Houser stammered, “Um, well, now, that’s the address of the White House, sir.”

“Yes indeed, sir. That’s our home now. Mrs. Mary will be there within the hour.” Abe handed Houser payment and shepherded Mary to the door.

“Come along, Mary. Let’s get back.” They walked outside.

“Oh, but can I shop for a new hat first? I saw the prettiest bonnet at that shop over there.” Mary pointed to a millinery across the street.

Again Abe sighed, and felt as if he was losing this battle. But a bigger war was waiting. Thie small skirmish would be won by the opposite side, again.

“Show me the hat, Mary.”


W/C 594

new signature 2021


2023 Quill Nominee.
Quill Finalist Logo 2022.
Quill Nominee Signature 2022

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2024 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065541-C1-Curious-and-Curiouser