*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070229
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2313608
Old Place, New – carb-loaded! – Soul Food
#1070229 added April 30, 2024 at 3:13pm
Restrictions: None
13. Nonno Aurelio's Ricotta-Cinnamon Mac (Yup, Hi-Carb)





Dudes, ever wanted a true soul stroker on a s– day that doesn't cause you any more fuss? *Sick*

Or ever were a nonno left alone with a bunch of four nipotini when your figlio and his wife – and worse, your own wife!*Shock2* – were on a well-deserved night out? How to fill the hungry little stomachs?*Shock2*

Well, by remembering an old dish your big sister Antonella – your substitute mother after Papà doesn't care much about and blames you (sometimes violently) for his beloved sposa's death during childbirth*HeartBroken**Cry* – often cooked for you both when Papà worked longer in the carpentry... Nella who never blamed you for anything, and lovingly taught you to cook from the frugal supplies you had.*Heart* The start of one of the most popular (unfortunately fictional*Sob*) restaurants in Manhattan's Little Italy decades later.*Spoon* *Pot*

Once more I got this recipe out of Deborah Ferrini-Kreitmayr's cookbook Roma in Cucina, where I already got "11. Piselli alla Romana (Hi-Carb) from. *Idea*

This – even if bittersweet – memory of Nonno's above immediately popped up before my Mind's Eye when I read it. *Heart* Ferrini-Kreitmayr bemoans it herself... it being a beloved childhood memory, so simple, so quintessential Roman... and not even there being served anymore. *Cry*

That needs to change!*ThumbsUpGreen*

And you bet that Aurelio put this dish on his menu in the family restaurant... and that it's a bloody bestseller among the kids still after six decades.*BigSmile*

Honestly?

This dish has four ingredients, and is REALLY made in a jiffy – even by me; I was truly surprised! *Shock* But the combination of those four ingredients – Mamma Mia! *StarStruck* Oh, scusi, Nonno Mio! *Blush*

Maybe some of you will think Hm!*Confused* – but trust me on this one => not only Nonna knows best, sometimes even Nonno.*Laugh*




Serves: 2 (4) main courses Actually 4, but since 4 times heated up pasta finally is *Sick*, I'll part the ingredients by half.*Idea*

Prep Time: 15 minutes No Sch...mu!*Shock2*

Degree of Difficulty: Non-existent.




WE NEED

250 (500) gr / 8.8 oz. (1.1 lb.)
maccheroni I used fusilli, macs were just out.*Shock*

165 (330) gr / 5.8 (11.6 oz.) ricotta There are two sorts: creamy and firm. IDEALLY, you use the former, but even I didn't get it at the Italian Deli, so the normal one had to do; and did, so...*Pthb*

1 heaped (2.5) tbsp sugar

1/2 (1) tbsp cinnamon. Take the more expensive Ceylon cinnamon, because the cheaper Cassia contains Cumarin which is poisonous for cinnamon lovers!*ExclaimR* *Shock2*




WE DO

1. Cook
the pasta al dente in ample water and drain. Keep about a half cup of pasta water.


2. While the pasta cooks, whisk together ricotta, sugar, cinnamon and about 5 tbsp pasta water until it's creamy.



I used a fork to carefully "mince" the quite stubborn ricotta, then kept at it until finished. I also used the pasta water directly from the bubbling pot!*Idea* When you do that, too, take the part of the water with whitish streaks as this is starch emitted by the cooking pasta... which makes the whole sauce even creamier


3. Quickly mix
drained pasta + sauce and serve immediately.

As you can see in the image above, I poured the sauce a bit unceremoniously into the pot, but I made the sauce in a small müsli bowl, so...*Idea*


Buon Appetito & Guten Hunger!*StarStruck* *Heart**CountryIT* *Hungry*
© Copyright 2024 Olivia–Soccer EC ITA:SUI 0:0 (UN: olivia44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Olivia–Soccer EC ITA:SUI 0:0 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070229