*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071124-Lately
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2320172
Short story collection based on the album.
#1071124 added June 30, 2024 at 9:39pm
Restrictions: None
Lately
It stood before him, his chance to shine and bring about the recognition he felt he'd deserved over his lengthy career, yet seeing the goalposts and his teammates open and waiting for the pass suddenly blurred as he took the shot. Hitting the goalpost, the crowd screamed and yelled with anger and disappointment. He looked at the disgust on the surrounding faces, which told him everything he needed to know. At that moment, self-doubt crept in, and he questioned his every move.

He'd spent years in the big time, from World Cups to Copa America and back again. He knew his career was winding down; even the fans' accolades and devotion had waned. He didn't understand why they chose him for the national team this year, but they did pick him, though there were a few others who could've filled the spot. Was he supposed to sit back and give the ball away every time it touched his feet as a lesson to the younger players? The uncertainty of his role was hard to swallow when the attention was on him again.

Would they have extended the offer if his national team didn't need him and didn't want his skillset? Doubtful. He knew two other centers had been sidelined due to injury; the press was eager to point that out. His injuries and age made it challenging to keep up with the younger generation of skilled footballers. Yet, despite these challenges, he was determined to make the most of this opportunity, his last chance to regain what he'd lost over the years.

Late in the second half, it was a tie game. He would only have a few more chances to make his move. He had to be ready to take over any ball that came his way and drive toward the net. The goalie sent the ball careening midfield. He watched it fly through the air and then head straight for him. He ran, pacing the defender that was coming up fast. He headed the ball forward, picking up speed, as another defender moved forward to take the loose ball. His focus was unwavering, and he anticipated every move.

Another forward from his team slid and pushed the ball out of the defender's reach. His heart raced, knowing this was his chance. He sped forward and tipped the ball with his foot. From the corner of his eye, he could see two teammates coming up strong, one on each side as they neared the goal, and two defenders poised to take the ball away.

The goalie stood in the net's center, trying to predict which way to go. All he had to do was pick the right direction. He passed the ball to the left, still running forward, with both teammates moving forward. The goalie moved to the left, the forward passed the ball back to him, and he shot it hard and fast toward the right side of the goal. His breath caught, and time seemed to stop as the ball moved slowly, inching closer to the goal. Finally, it crossed the white line and hit the back of the net.

He'd done it! He scored! The crowd cheered, and the stadium hummed from pounding feet and drums.

"Dad. Dad."

Snapping his eyes open, Gabe looked around until he noticed his son. He was back in the nursing home, and he sighed.

That blasted dream again. Gabe would've been the hero if he'd made the right choice back then. But pride and selfishness kept him from passing that damn ball. He had to live with that truth. He cost his country the Copa America. Fate was a funny thing.


WC: 622











Lately
I never knew much
Enough was enough
The reasons were not always there
But the look in your eyes
Hides that surprise
I would never have counted on this
Well lately
You look around
You're wondering what your doing
Yeah lately
You look around
Your wondering what you seeing
What your doing
The taste of your freedom
Was sweeter than love
'Cause you never had a chance to live
Your blue sky calls
To seduce and bewitch
And give you the wings of your fate
Well lately
You look around
You're wondering what your doing
Yeah lately
You look around
Your wondering what you seeing
What your doing
I never knew much
Enough was enough
The reasons were not always there
But the look in your eyes
Hides that surprise
I would never have counted on this
Well lately
You look around
You're wondering what your doing
Yeah lately
You look around
Your wondering what you seeing
What your doing
Well lately
You look around
You're wondering what your doing
Yeah lately
You look around
Your wondering what you seeing
What your doing
© Copyright 2024 Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071124-Lately