*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071128-On-My-Way
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2320172
Short story collection based on the album.
#1071128 added June 16, 2024 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
On My Way
On My Way

Running late again seemed inevitable, with all the cones and barrels signaling road construction and the drivers only out there for themselves. It makes me crazy watching them refusing to get into the correct lane as they make a last-ditch effort to speed up, then jump the line because they think their time is more precious than mine.

All I wanted was to get home, see her again, and get lost in the warmth and magic of the woman I loved. I should explain. I am the product of a broken home, where I never really saw a loving relationship up close and personal. So, as a child growing up, I vowed that I would do better. I would be better than my parents were and stick it out even during tough times. I read a saying once that stuck with me during that turmoil in my life.

Someone else is dreaming about the things you take for granted. That was it. That was all it took to put me on a completely different path. So I sought someone to love and swore I would never abuse them and that I would step up every single day. An

It's been five years, and no, it hasn't been easy, but it's been worth it. Jessie came into my life like a little tornado, turning my world upside down and righting it all in one fell swoop, although she would say I have it backward.

In truth, when I was sad and depressed and being chewed out by a customer at my crappy job, in walked Jessie, and once we made eye contact, and she heard the berating I was receiving, that little firecracker went off and put the customer in their place. It was a sight to behold. That she stuck up for me, a virtual stranger, showed me someone could care about me, and that knowledge blew my mind. That day, my entire world changed for the better.

Jessie and I became fast friends, and it wasn't long before a romantic relationship ensued. With her help, I pursued a career in heating and cooling, took the classes needed, and worked for a big outfit that installs furnaces and air conditioning units. It's one of those life skills that everybody needs, and it's a dying industry as most others pursue careers in computer science and other exciting careers. Jessie always said I was good with my hands, and I couldn't argue with that. Fixing things was my forte.

Every day after work, I would drive the same route, even if there was a fast way. It had become my routine, and before I returned home, my thoughts turned to Jessie, the woman of my dreams. She knew me like I knew the back of my hand and all its intricacies. She understood me. Though I knew most people did, I could never take these simple things for granted. She was not perfect, but she was perfect for me.

I glanced at the clock. Ten more minutes and I'd be home. After five more minutes, Jessie would text me asking how much longer. I loved that I could hit a button on my car and text her the same message day after day. These drives home were my downtime and planning sessions, and they built my excitement as I drew closer to the woman I adored.

My thoughts drifted to her in the kitchen, dancing to her favorite cooking music and the compelling sway of her hips as she sashayed around from the stove to the counter, to the stove, and back again. She'd teasingly tell me about her day and everything she needed help with that she had to put off until I came home, though I knew better. I was a good foot taller than her, but if Jessie wanted something out of reach, she'd be hard-pressed to wait for anyone to show up and give her a hand. That woman was independence personified. Still, she pretended she needed me, though I suspect she doesn't.

Just like clockwork, my cell phone chimed with her text.

I hit the voice button on the steering wheel and had my phone reply.

"On my way. Five minutes out."

Today, I only wanted Jessie to greet me at the door with one of her welcoming kisses that let all the tension of the day's events melt away and bring my sole focus to her alone. The world had a way of disappearing when I returned home and spent my time making sure my lady was happy. I found comfort and more love in her happiness than I had ever dared dream.

It always puzzled me how my parents consciously chose to annoy each other from the moment they saw one another after work. Instead of being thankful for what they did have, my parents focused on everything they didn't and how terrible they saw their life together. Perhaps it was better that they parted ways in the long run, but even now, they still look to inflict damage on each other during family events when they have to cross paths.

Why couldn't they see what I did? That love, that was what mattered most. Being with someone and giving them your whole heart makes the world a wonderful place. It didn't help anyone to sit and wallow, to be negative and ungrateful.

But I digress. And as I make the left turn that leads to my cul-de-sac, my heart pounds wildly in my chest. I am so close that I can almost picture Jessie in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on dinner, music playing, and watching the window for my car to appear.

I pulled in, the soft music coming through the open windows making me smile. A few short steps and my work day would be rewarded with the site of Jessie, the woman that I adored, happy to see me too.

When it's the real deal, love leaves you with a sense of happiness you cannot buy.







WC: 1009


On My Way
Shake make it forever
Curling from you lips
Faith and it's not over
Bring on that famous word
Love don't abuse it
And you'll never be sad again
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
Blood's getting hotter
Thinking about your hips
I feel all the hunger
The minute you turn away
I think it's getting better
But I can't wait another day
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
Make all your wishes
No sooner said than done
Here I come like I told you
Whether it's air, land or sea
She said this is the real thing
'Cause your never gonna find the door
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
I'm on my way
Love don't abuse it
And you'll never be sad again
I'm on my way
[repeat till end]
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071128-On-My-Way