*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073293-Murder-at-the-Vicarage
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Reviewing · #2312363
Reviews for the 2024 Reading Club
#1073293 added June 28, 2024 at 7:05pm
Restrictions: None
Murder at the Vicarage
For my second April book, I decided to go right back to one of the most famous writers of this genre, Agatha Christie and read her Miss Marple novel, Murder at the Vicarage. I went through an Agatha Christie phase when I was about thirteen years old, but I never read this one.

The novel is narrated by an Anglican vicar who comes across as a generally likeable sort, but he does not get along with a member of the church staff. When that member of his staff is shot dead in the Vicarage library, there are many suspects.

The vicar also has to deal with a police detective named Inspector Slack. Slack is a somewhat full of himself individual, who alienates jut about everyone. He also has some somewhat sexist ideas.

Which brings us to the detective Jane Marple. For those who don't know, she's a country English spinster who claims that human nature does not change and that living in a an English village gives one the ability to observe it close up. I read this book partly because a Youtube person who discusses Agatha Christie books referred to it as the "most Marply" Marple book. It's a strange way of putting things, but I think I understand what she means. Miss Marple doesn't appear in every scene, but when she does, we get some pithy comments about the state of human nature.

Anyway, in case you haven't guessed, Miss Marple is the one who finally solves this mystery. The solution turns out to not be particularly ingenious as these things go, but getting there is an enjoyable trip.

Also the book gives us a happy ending for the vicar and his wife which isn't really related to the crime, but makes you feel good.

© Copyright 2024 Weirdone-Back in the games (UN: weirdone28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Weirdone-Back in the games has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073293-Murder-at-the-Vicarage