*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
3
5
6
7
10
11
13
14
16
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073981-20240715-Types-of-Fiction-Writer
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1073981 added July 15, 2024 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
20240715 Types of Fiction Writer
Types Of Fiction Writer

I have been going through a lot of discussions on Discord with various writers about what they want out of writing. One server I am a member of is filled with those who purely want to be published; another has a mix of those who do and do not want to be published; another has people who want very specific things; and two others have even further types.
         So, reading through these, plus my experiences on Twitter (years ago; I am no longer on that accursed hell-hole) and even reading discussions and posts here on WdC, I think I have come up with the following types of fiction writer in the world. And by fiction, I mean prose – short stories through to novel series.
         As such, this does not include poets, screenwriters, playwrights, journalists, columnists, biographers (including autobiographers and memoirists) etc. Just those who write prose fiction.


Hobbyists
I think these are by far the most common writers. They just write for the fun of it. Not all want to improve, they just want to write. They might not show anyone what they write, or maybe only a few select friends, maybe even post the odd jotting or two in a public space, but they just do it really for themselves.


Traditionalists
This is me. These are writers who want to write and be published, but do it the old-fashioned way. They submit to magazines and publishers and agents, and are always writing, trying to hone their craft, using books and people and reviewers and beta readers. Always selling and pushing.


Open Writers
These are people who feel they want their writing in the world, no matter what. They write and are serious about their writing, but they just the world to see it. They post wherever they can, sell to wherever, do the self-publishing thing, even post work on social media. These are writers who want to be read, no matter what.


Fan Fictionists
These are writers who write only in the fan fiction genre. I won’t say anything about it beyond that it does feel like an obsessive writing. Especially when fan-fiction devolves into erotica and pr0n.


Idols
These are the people who probably hate the idea, and is something I do harp on about. These are those who, like the “performers” in the first few weeks of Pop Idol, American idol and their ilk, when they are told their work is no good, reckon because their mum or [insert relative/ friend here] likes their writing, they already the best ever. They take no criticism, refuse to be corrected and hate on everyone who dares think their work is not a potential NYTimes best-seller.


So, there we are. A bit of fun, I guess. I’ve put forth where I reckon I stand. Where do you think you are? Are there any other general writer types I might have missed?
         Let’s start some sort of a dialogue. Writer types, combinations, things like that.
         Or not.
         I am not your father.



© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073981-20240715-Types-of-Fiction-Writer