*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
3
5
6
7
10
11
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075724-20240826-Using-Rare-Words
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1075724 added August 26, 2024 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
20240826 Using Rare Words
Using Rare Words

Readers of my various Newsfeed posts will notice that I have been putting rare words with their definitions up, mainly to entertain, but also to educate.
         But that does bring up a question – would you ever use these words?
         If by “you” you mean “me”, then, yes, yes I would. I have been known to throw a word that really describes what I want but that I am might be the only person since 1856 to have used it in a piece of writing. I have had over a dozen of these words removed (after being questioned) by editors before publication; about four have got through to final print. But that’s me.
         What about the general, run-of-the-mill writer?
         Yeah, well, I would probably say it’s not worth it. If you have no goal of publication and it’s just to entertain yourself as much as your readers, then sure, go for it. But if you want publish – no matter the style of publication you go for – then it might make you seem like a smart-arse, a know-it-all git, a right wanker in written work. I know, because I have been accused of all these things.
         I have a goal to write a story that includes at least one rare word in every sentence, but finding the right idea for it is proving difficult.
         Anyway, this brings me to the point of this. Why do I put these words forth, and why do I use them? Because I do not want to see words die. Language is mutable, and there are too many words where the definition is changed for no reason except people are idiots and use it wrong (literally, for example), but there are so many wonderful words that we don’t even use, and they could become relics.
         I am happy to use these old words in the manner in which they were intended. It is also like when I invent words (which I have been known to do, and at least one word I invented has been published!) I make sure it has a good etymological basis so people who look at it think that because it makes sense, it must be real.
         I am a language gate-keeper, and I admit that. And I will continue to use and let people know about weird and wonderful words.


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075724-20240826-Using-Rare-Words