*Magnify*
◄     September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
7
8
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076365-The-Welfare-of-a-Nation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2326194
A new blog to contain answers to prompts
#1076365 added September 6, 2024 at 12:01pm
Restrictions: None
"The Welfare of a Nation"
Prompt:
"Within the character of the citizen, lies the welfare of the nation."
Cicero
In what ways do you think one person's character can affect or represent or bring down a nation?


-------

Definitely, there's some truth to that quote. Just look at what Hitler did. Then, look at what George Washington and his friends did.

And then, just think what a great world we would have if every single person worked toward the betterment of his or her own character! The beautiful possibilities of this are endless.

If a nation's citizens are ethical, responsible, and committed to justice and the common good, these qualities will reflect in its leaders and the society at large. This will lead to a more stable, just, and prosperous nation.

On the other hand, if the citizens of a nation are corrupt, apathetical, and selfish, that nation will have economic, social, or political issues to deal with. In such a society, how can there be civic responsibility when everyone is extremely self-centered and egotistical!

Which brings me to the current political situation. Why is it that one candidate says he or she will fix the economy alone and everything else is secondary, while the other candidate promises to deal with some certain groups' rights alone? Where does it say that any leadership has to concentrate on specific issues and groups instead of the whole nation! I think our leaders do not know how to think and consider the welfare of an entire nation. Instead, they pick on specific issues to placate certain groups for getting their votes, as if we are a flock of sheep that will follow them blindly. I really feel insulted by all this political hoopla.

No candidate has said, so far, something like, "You're all responsible for this nation. Leaders alone won't cut it. Let's do this together, so each of you has a role in shaping our country's future." But they wouldn't dare, would they!



© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076365-The-Welfare-of-a-Nation