*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077031-Boston-Massachusetts
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1077031 added September 20, 2024 at 10:47am
Restrictions: None
Boston, Massachusetts
Boston, Ma


         The week of 9/10/24 found me smack-dab in the center of Boston, Massachusetts.  I was with the city, specifically the Boston PD, FD, and EMS people.  Being in the center of a major city, I didn't rent a car, I used Uber all week.  It's easier on me not driving in that traffic, less expensive in reality.  I had decent restaurants nearby, and walked to them each night.

         This is my first time in the city of Boston.  I've flown in and out of Logan Airport several times, so that's not brand new to me.  Have I told you I don't like large cities?  I much prefer living in a city the size of Bloomington.  Bloomington is actually Bloomington/Normal.  The two cities/towns have gradually merged over the years, I live in the southern part of the town, in Bloomington.  So I prefer smaller cities/municipalites over large Urban areas, the lifestyle there suits me better, I'm much more comfortable living there than I was in the Chicago Suburbs.

         The class itself flew by, it's one of those that I'm the only qualified instructor (who can travel) that delivers it.  I've gone to using Powerpoint slides only on the first half of the first day.  After that, it's almost all hands-on activities for the students.  I mean, no one likes 'Death By Powerpoint' after all.  When delivering Powerpoint class material, I see the looks on some faces, and think of the movie, "Ferris Bueler's Day Off".  Yeah, sometimes I see those faces from the movie.

         And of course, with the Boston PD technicians in class, they all sat together.  As did the Boston FD Techs.  And you guessed it, so did the Boston EMS Techs.  The key to delivering this class well, and almost any technical class, is to know their system, and how it's connected to what is known as the Core.  This wasn't a system class though, but we did get off topic a few times to discuss those connections

         I arrived Monday and met with the Project Manager at the training site Monday afternoon.  He and a couple of Engineers were there, and we talked about things to expect from tthe students in the class.  I was 'warned' about the two students they were placing in the front row, and the subjects they would bring up.  I've delivered this class many times, and have seen many types of students, and told them so.  Apparently they were worried that these two might ask questions about basic RF topics that I might not be reay for.  Let's just say, I was ready, and had the knowledge to easily answer their questions.  One of them was older than me by about 4 years.  He goes back to the old RF systems in his discussions, but I've read up all I can on that.  You have to in delivering this class.  We got along great!  He insisted on giving me a ride to the hotel each afternoon, he had a pretty low opinion of Uber drivers.  On the last day when he dropped me off he said, "Jim, I've only known you for three days, but it seems like we've known each other for a lifetime."  To me, that was quite a compliment.

         Noteworthy Restaurants:

         The Pearl          https://www.thepearlsouthbay.com/eat2          This was a good place to dine.  The staff was excellent, not to mention the food.  I had to try their New England Clam Chowder, it was a little thinner than the chowder I had at a different place (not mentionied here), I enjoyed it more.  It contained plenty of clams, enough potatoes, bacon, and chives to accompany it, but not overpower it.  While their Shrimp Linguini was good, the tomato sauce used in it overpowered it.  There was plenty of Jumbo Shrimp in it though, that is what saved it in my eyes.


         My Current Schedule (I don't see this changing either).


Sept 16:  San Francisco

Sept 23:  Montana (Federal Customer who maintains Hungry Horse Dam)

Sept 30:  Vacation

Oct 7:  Chatanooga Tennessee

Oct 14:  Work from home

Oct 21:  Schaumburg

Oct 28:  Vacation, Akita National Specialty Dog Show

Nov 4:  Seattle

Nov 11:  Schaumburg

Nov 18:  Schaumburg

Nov 25:  Thanksgiving

Dec 2:  Seattle

Dec 9:  Fort Lauderdale

Dec 16:  For Lauderdale

Dec 23:  Christmas/New Years 'Relaxation'

Dec 30:  Christmas/New Years 'Relaxation'


         That's it for now.  Until my next entry, write all you can, and love everyone, especially those special people who fill your life!





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2024 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077031-Boston-Massachusetts