*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/183536-Some-shadows-have-substance-behind-them
Rated: ASR · Book · Sci-fi · #488139
This is my entry for Writing Assignment Senario # 2. Please enjoy.
#183536 added April 27, 2003 at 2:28pm
Restrictions: None
Some shadows have substance behind them
Well, I'm cold and I'm wet. I've got to find a cave or something. With no pharmacies, I'll be miserable if I catch a cold.

You know, last night scared me to death, and it's not getting any better. I watched the stars come out. I figured that I could get some rough idea of where I was, if I was still on Earth, that is. You know, north or south hemisphere. Well, like any person back home, I could pick out the Big Dipper no problem. Orion is another constellation I have no problem finding. What's so scary about a bunch of stars millions of lightyears away? Can you say precision of stars?

That's right. All of the constellations that I was familiar with, and the ones I could pick out using the BSH were skewed something awful. I don't know how many years are between my time and now, or even which direction, but it's a lot.

Now when the ancient Greeks and Romans named the constellations, they were pretty much in the same relative positions as in my time. I want to cry.

~~

Foraging for food is not fun. I mean, do you eat the green berries or the red? They look more like blueberries in shape, so I'm afraid of poisoning myself. Maybe I can find some blackberries. Hurray for genetic mutations.

I'm getting pretty good at writing while I walk.

Oh. My. God.

Something's watching me.

There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

Darnit. White Reeboks don't seem to have the same power as ruby slippers. Ooh. There it is again. Was that an arm? Here's the question of the hour: do I want my observer to be humanoid? I'm not saying human because I have no idea what is was. But I'm sure I saw something resembling an arm. Looked awful hairy.

Note to self: City girls should not visit science fairs that get them sent who-knows-where. When I get home, I'm writing the publishers of the BSH and telling them that there should be a section for surviving in a pre-historic world.

I'm going back to my touchdown point. By the way, Where is James T. Kirk when you need him? He takes that stupid ship everywhere else but when people need him.

It's getting dark. I want to go home.

© Copyright 2003 Enneirda (UN: ladya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Enneirda has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/183536-Some-shadows-have-substance-behind-them