*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/203704-A-Night-at-the-Inn-Magnus
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #559708
Einah's wants to get a mysterious dagger. Magnus is a soldier with an unsettled past..
#203704 added November 4, 2002 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
A Night at the Inn (Magnus)
I made my way through the emptying streets, making my way to the inn that I could see in the background. It’s white sign swung on rusted hinges, showcasing the inn’s name, McHurdley. Navigating through the sea of people, I spotted a few of my fellow soldiers. They nodded their heads at me, the more informal way of acknowledging my higher rank. A few even ventured to be amiable, calling out, “Hey Magnus”, barely heard in the cacophony of the streets. In these times it wasn’t a good idea to draw attention to the fact that you were in the army. Especially on this side of town. It was strictly neutral, but bordering on hostile to any members of either force. Which was why I was dressed in civilian clothes.
I wanted to get away from the soldier life for a night. I was sick of sleeping on a cold uncomfortable cot in a tent situated in the middle other tents. I wanted to sleep in a real bed in a real inn. I didn’t care if it had some fleas in it, I was used to that, and I had figured out a way to get them away. But for once I wanted to have a peaceful night’s sleep, without having to hear the groans and moans of my neighbors as they used the services of the local whores that were in abundance. So I traveled throughout the city in search of a respectable inn. And it seemed that my wait was finally over.
Walking through the doors, immediately I was assaulted by the aroma of the food cooking in the kitchen. The regulars sitting in the pub were obviously enjoying their drink and the entertainment provided to them, judging by the loud laughter and jeers coming from that area. Sitting at the front desk was a hospitable looking older woman. She smiled at me good-naturedly and showed me to my room, explaining where food could be found and anything else that I might need. I listened politely, and soon enough she was gone, and I was alone. The walls were well insulated. Barely anything could be heard. Even the pub activities were dampened considerably.
I figured since it was included in the price I might as well get something to eat. I headed down to the kitchen, where I was given a plate of food with a huge turkey leg, mashed potatoes and beans. A pint glass in my hand, I made my way to a table in the corner and began to eat. For a while the actions of the drunken men were enough to amuse me, but soon my mind began to wander.
Immediately, my mind turned to Einah, the spy that I caught trying to steal documents again. She had a beautiful lithe body, but that wasn’t what caught my attention. The thing that got me the most was her eyes. They were like sapphires alight with fire when they sparkled with anger. But it was when they were hauling her away that stuck in my mind. Her eyes had a pained look in them as she looked to me imploringly. I knew that she was the enemy, but I felt certain sympathy for her. Underneath her tough worldly pretense, she was just a frightened girl, and I saw that when they took her to the dungeon. It was all I could do not to call out and keep them from taking her anywhere. I barely knew her, but already I admired her spirit. Even when she knew that I could easily overpower her, she still fought like a hellcat. That was partly why I went to the inn, to forget about her. But now I couldn’t get her out of my mind.
I sought some means of distraction to bring my mind away from my thoughts. I looked around the kitchen to see who else was around. There were a few harried barmaids rushing around carrying heavy pewter pint glasses for the group of drunken customers in the center of the room. Sitting around the outside tables were a few other people, mostly travelers from the country waiting for morning to sell their livestock in the market. Suddenly from the hallway leading upstairs came a woman in a purple gown. When she caught each of the men’s eyes, the dining hall became quieter and quieter as they stopped talking to watch as she made her way to the kitchen door. Smiling at the cook and pushing her long russet hair behind her back, she took her plate and looked for a place to sit. Her blue eyes scanned the room, looking for a place to sit. She made her way to an empty table towards the corner of the room where I was. I sat back and waited for her to come nearer.
When she did, I saw that she was beautiful, with strong features. Her eyes caught my attention. As she neared me, I saw her squint her eyes slightly, looking at me with a spark of interest. Suddenly her eyes grew wide, and her plates almost tumbled to the floor as she stumbled. She regained her composure quickly though, and laughed it off to see if anyone was watching. There was only me. There was something oddly familiar about her, but I couldn’t place what it was, and so I studied her as she walked to a table. She noticed and seemed to be a little nervous because of it, but that quickly passed. Soon she had other things to worry about.
“Hallo there, your grace,” one of the drunken men called out to her, “would you be so kind as to furnish us with your name?”
“Gladly, sir.” She said with an indulgent smile and a formal bow, as she played along with the game. “I am called Lady Ophelia, duchess of Easterly. And what pray tell be your name?”
“He is Sir Ralph, and I am his squire, Hale.” Another of the drunken men shouted out, picking up on the game and playing along.
“Ah, I see. I hail you both, and drink your health.” Lady Ophelia brought the cup to her lips, and drained it, slamming it down. And then the game was up. She wasn’t a lady any more than Ralph was a knight. Throwing her head back and laughing heartily, she joked around with the other men easily until she finished eating. Then she immediately called it a night, and headed back up the stairs.
It seemed as if the party was over after she made her exit. Soon the men began to pack up and leave, heading home to their wives and children. I drained the last of my mead, headed up to my room, and lay down on the bed, plagued by two women now. The elusive Einah, and the “lady” Ophelia. Pressing my head against the pillow, I forced both women out of my mind as I drifted off to sleep.

© Copyright 2002 Captain Crunch (UN: saluna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Captain Crunch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/203704-A-Night-at-the-Inn-Magnus