*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/252878-Response-to-a-review
Rated: ASR · Book · Spiritual · #135312
Who are we? Where are we going? Should we even care?
#252878 added August 10, 2003 at 7:29pm
Restrictions: None
Response to a review
I'm not sure if you got my response to your question, Iris, because the server crashed on me when I pressed Send. Well, weather you got it or not, my response is long enough that I thought I might as well post it here.

Iris:
... It seems to me you are on some sort of a spiritual journey, and I'll let that be. Just so you know, I'm a Christian and I was very curious to know and understand a full description of Creation Nihilism. I found it interesting and have never heard of it before, and if you're comfortable about talking about religion, I have a few questions about it. Not to be imposing or anything, I'm just curious, I love learning about other religions. Um.....ok, here's where I'm slightly caught. If God doesn't care and we do whatever we want or whatever, then are there no basics for right and wrong? Is there still a Heaven and Hell even though our fates are bound? I'm just curious to know. Write back! ~Iris~


My response:
... I'm not surprised that you haven't heard about it because I made the name up myself. As some have pointed out to me, using the word Nihilism to describe what I beleive is hypocritical because nihilism inplies a complete lack of belief in anything (except itself, one could say, which is a contradiction of itself).
If I wasn't comfortable with religion, I wouldn't have the journal (I don't meant to make a point of it). I've also mentioned in my journal that I'm interested in being a Buddhist because, as I did some research, Buddhist philosophies aren't that far off from what I have concluded.
As for 'right and wrong', I'm still debating weather for not there is (what I call) Universal Morality, which are essentially a universal set of behaviour that are always benifical for the group. For example, are sharing, compassion, and peacefulness always good for the group no matter the species? I require that morality applies to all species (especially thinking ones) because we are decendant from lower life-forms, therefore we as a species learned morality from our evolution from animal to man. For example, in the case of killing one in your own group, there are two arguments. It is right because it removes those who are weak from the group and strengthens the group as a whole. It is wrong because it disrupts the normal flow of the group; it causes chaos as others move up and down the ranks. It is wrong moreover because those who murder those within the group are feared and fear does not make for an efficient group. Those who respect the members of the group and who find a place for weaker memebers make for great leaders. Some may find this view idealistic. Warring tribes may have been common in ancient times when there were fewer humans around and a greater need to distrust those who are not family, but in the global world where we are all connected, we must respect the lives of the entire species.
Unfortunately, Universal Morality is something that doesn't hold up on an individual human basis, but on the behaviour of collectives of human beings so that the species will survive and flourish. The tolerance of murder, theft, and exploitation hinders the development of the speicies, don't you think?
Heaven and Hell seem like figments and stories designed to frighten us. When you think about it, the ideals of Heaven are impossible to reach. Purgatory, if you beleive in it, was only invented because the Rapture didn't occur within the lifetime of the Apostles. The average human being cannot expect to do the things that he or she enjoys when in Heaven because most of the things human beings enjoy are sins. Sex, food, and even family do not exist in Heaven, according to the Bible. Of course, one only needs the love of God in Heaven, correct? But how many of us can be so humble as to be so pious? I suppose that's why so many evangilists are certain the human race is going to Hell. This is because the average church-goer doesn't meet the standards for getting into Heaven. Which is why, I suppose you have to be repentant.
Personally, I believe in karma, reincarnation, and nirvana. If those beliefs are true, then the concept of Universal Morality exists because, without a God to judge a person, then one must judge one's self. Therefore, the part that is ultimately reincarnated is seperate from the body, essentially the soul of a person. The soul of a person is what is stained or cleaned by good or bad actions or intentions (karma) and it's the voice in our heads that ultimately tells us what is right and wrong. For some people, that voice is overpowered by irrationality and insanity. When one dies, the soul decides where it should be placed next in order to repair the karmic damage or to further the spirital journey it's on.
Obviously this is my own speculation based on what I've read and who I've talked to. I still need to read a lot more and talk to a lot more people, but I will come to my own conclusions eventually. I'll be more than happy to read your response and answer any other questions. Remember that everything I write is up for debate and I welcome it. And I apologize for being so long-winded (smile).


Stay tuned for more poems in future entries.

"I can't imagine a God who would care."
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."
Bishop, Aliens
Please read my journal "Late Night Philosophy
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2003 SyntheticGod (UN: synthetic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SyntheticGod has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/252878-Response-to-a-review