*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/276188-Going-solo
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#276188 added February 6, 2004 at 3:42pm
Restrictions: None
Going solo
You know how some people can go to the movies alone or eat by themselves at a restaurant? Well, I've always marveled at those people. I've always been comfortable being alone. I'm not one of those people who needs company around all the time. So, why can't I do something like that by myself?!

I went to play golf recently all by myself. It was a Sunday afternoon, and the friend that usually goes with me in town already had plans that day. My friends, the Salvos, were at home, but they live an hour and a half away. Surely, I wasn't such a wuss that I would drive three hours round-trip just to avoid playing by myself!

So, I bit the bullet and went alone. It had rained hard the day before and I knew the ground would be soggy, but hey, I should be able to adapt to different conditions! Well, that may be the case for people who actually have some talent at the game...

I figured it might actually be good for me just to concentrate on the game and not spend my time socializing, but it was a beautiful day and the course was packed. The butterflies stirred a bit in my stomach.

I asked which course had fewer people on it, but they both had a steady stream of people. I decided on the back course because there was only one group at the tee box. It was a group of six.

By the time they teed off, a line had formed behind me. Once it was my turn to tee off, there were about 15 little golfers ready to watch the freak show. The two behind asked if I wanted to play with them. I tried to politely refuse (It's great to have friends you can laugh with; it's different to simply be the one laughed at!), but they talked me into it.

My tee shot was horrible. I almost felt the expulsion of breath behind me that had to be accompanied by eye rolls all around. Ok, ok, I was going to pull it together. Well, that didn't go exactly as I planned. I hit every puddle on the course. I bet that even if a bird peed on the grass, my ball found that puddle, too. I wiffed the ball (missed contact with it completely) 10 to 15 times that day. I didn't even play that bad my first time out! I made it through nine holes of torture and finally gave in. My golf buddies had been so nice that I wanted them to at least be able to enjoy part of their day.

I left with my tail between my legs. Even though I paid for 18 holes, I didn't ask for my money back for the last nine. I just wanted to slink away. I headed straight the the nearest driving range and decided that I probably need to learn the game before I venture out again...but, I refuse to go solo!

© Copyright 2004 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/276188-Going-solo