*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277957-Suspenseful-News
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#277957 added February 17, 2004 at 12:42am
Restrictions: None
Suspenseful News
I'm sitting around watching TV tonight, and this preview comes on advertising tonight's news. I remember when they used to tease with some human interest stories to draw viewers in, but this was ridiculous.

Maybe I should preface this first; I live in Houston. All the news has to do with blood and guts and murder and mayham. When my grandmother comes down to visit, she watches the news constantly and believes that the reality out there is that the chances are pretty high that you're going to be attacked or molested in some way if you live here. I try to explain to her that most of those people are offending against people they know. Yes, it does happen randomly sometimes, but you don't step over bodies when you walk down the street!

Anyway, I don't often watch the local news because it has become such high drama, but there's a problem when they start trying to draw people in with teasers such as, "This child shot and killed her father tonight...and you won't believe where it happened," or better yet, "There's been a new discovery of something common in your diet that's killing people and you don't even know it!" That's it...tune in to find out the rest. Shouldn't they want people to know as soon as possible if a murderer is running around in your neighborhood or if the cheese pizza you're about to eat might kill you? Won't it be great to realize at 10:00 that you made a mistake at dinner when you at 5 slices of that pizza earlier?

Come on already! If the news was that crucial, they'd have cut in to our "regularly scheduled program" and let us know, so I want to know, who really falls for this crap?

© Copyright 2004 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277957-Suspenseful-News