*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298276-Lets-go-vertigo-Yankees-Stadium
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Arts · #702718
I decided to try my hand at this journallog thing
#298276 added July 13, 2004 at 3:00pm
Restrictions: None
Let's go vertigo! (Yankees Stadium!!!)
Woot, woot, woot, the triwoot! I went to Yankees Stadium this past saturday with my friend! Yeah I know it's tuesday, so what took me so long -- recovering from exhaustion, oh yeah and too busy watching the HR Derby and a buttload of Stargate SG-1! So anyways, here are the highlights...as you already know, nothing goes sane with me involved:

- Wakey wakey, got up extra early to catch a bus to the college so as not to miss the bus that would bring us from there to the stadium. Well I got some weird lady who was training some weird guy and she had to give him DETAILED instructions the whole way there! I mean DEtailed, I won't go into any my ownself, it's too excrusiating (sp?). But what did worry me was when she asked if there was another bus at the college? Um, shouldn't she know that?...

- So I get there, and no sign of my friend, Heidi. I figure, uh oh, she should've been on the same bus as me or here by now...so I called her cellphone. Well apparantly poor Heidi missed the first bus she was supposed to take, so she had to call a cab--yes, it was the typical nightmare kind that drove a bagillion miles an hour, etc.

- We watched the saturday motorcycle class in the parking lot, especially the two who were not grasping the concept of turning very well...all in all it was equally as funny as it was boring.

- Eventually people, with cars, start showing up, cause they can do that a half hour ahead of time as opposed to an hour and a half ahead...lucky bastards. Well someone gets out of a van and is to waving to us and I'm waving back and she asks me, "do we know that person?", to which I answer, "yeah, it's ben". Um, for us it was a duh factor, so just laugh along, k?

- We get our tickets from the lady with the list and soon enough here comes the bus...which wasn't the same company she got told over the phone...no biggy. But when we got on I looked back and had to wonder if we had a bathroom, Heidi, was like duh, yes we do, don't you see the little red light that means unoccuppied, and I was like, no, peoples' heads are in my way. Anyways, it didn't really look like a door even, so I just settled in and soon we were off and yeah, headed 90 miles south.

- Well, I had to pee, and not long after we took off, I like everyone else, waited for that first person to go back there and confirm it really was a bathroom, and that it wasn't like in pieces or something...well unfortunately I wound up being that person!

- First I appeared like a retard not knowing how to open the damned door -- zeesh, sorry for being a bus bathroom virgin -- then I get in and there's this dinky ass light, I'm thinking dear god, well at least I could pull out el cellphone for some light if needbe, well not till I'm sitting down (yeah right, try to pee standing up on a moving vehicle, psychos!) do I notice a little sign on the door that says to lock it to turn on the light, lo and behold, it worked, brightness there be!

- So I get done, and apparantly start a trend as everyone decides to go one-by-one. Aren't I the kind one to have gone first ... never again! Though it was funny watching the one fat guy trying to get out of his seat past his own styrofoam cooler and breaking the top to it as he did, hehe, what? I can't be mean now and then? Admit it, you'd've found it funny too!

- Later on even Heidi had to go, but poor Heidi got trapped in the bathroom when something outside fell in front of the door and she had to knock and ask the people in the seats right outside to help untrap her...and to think we're not even at the stadium yet!

- So finally here we are! (parked several blocks from the stadium). So everybody gets their arses off the bus and we start treking to the stadium. First off, crossing a street in NYC, the pedestrian signal thing turns green for about one and a half seconds, and I'm not exagerating, we timed it! Next, we were under a street with a train overhead, and the first one that passed by freaked out poor Heidi.

- So now we're standing outside gate 6, laughing as you see the hotdog stands umbrella go by in the crowd making it look like it's just floating around, cause you can't see the stand itself. It's hot and frig where we're standing, but finally the gates open and we make our way on up.

- We get in, get patted down and her purse checked and all that good fun stuff. We get our gifty (it was OTD, and we got a pin commemerating it). And we start going up the escalators to get to tier level, yep, tier, I should've remembered. Well finally you can't go any higher, congrats, you've reached tier level.

- So we head to our section and realize we are going to be higher up than we really want to be, row v (followed by rows w and x, and then a wall the represents the literal outside of the stadium!!!). Well I don't exactly do well with heights, so I spent the first half hour to an hour freaking slightly...then again if you were at eye level with clouds, above most birds, and about 10ft below the planes....yeah, though so.

- Well I eventually get over my little vertigo, and decide to go souveneir hunting before our section fills up too much and I can't get back in (our seats were dead center, 7 to my side, 7 to hers). So I hit the first shop I see, looking for a Posada shirt, well apparently they only have player name shirts on the main level (ground level), so I bought a magazine and headed on down...way way way down...and wind up dead in front of THE main shop, well, duh, that should be THE place to go...

- Sure enough they've got player shirts, really nice ones for $100+!! Um, me poor, shirt pricey, not good. So I finally see some $25 ones! More like it, only all they have is Matsui and Rodriguez (which I could get anywhere I wanted)...so I ask the lady if they have any other names in that style (PRICE), and she tells me I have to go to one of the smaller stores on that level and points to one just down the hall, I figure, alright, whatever...

- Where does she send me but the kiddy store...which is also at the very end of of the stadium, so I head the other way, past the big ass store and keep going, and soon enough find another little store, but no Posada, I have to keep going apparently, well finally, around the MIDDLE of the stadium I find one that has my beloved Jorge! I think he should autograph it just for the trek I had to go through to get it -- well Posada, you ever read writing.com journals? LOL, but seriously if he does...

- So I head back up to get a drink and a pretzel, for $8 total (trust me, for stadium food that's not bad).

- I get back with about 3/4 of the old timers already announced..and people in our row--zeesh, so I make my way past them on the like 8" ledge that is our floor to stand on...

- Luis Sojo gets a homerun during OTD game, go sojo!

- Heidi keeps pointed out the blimp so I look up everytime just as it's tilting up, that didn't help the heights issue, we also estimated we were 7-8 stories high up!!!

- Heidi gets buzzed by some crackerjacks, that woke her up!

- We both had to deal with a fat man trying to get in and out, and both almost fell cause he was huge and wouldn't move out into the isle (he was the last seat for crying out loud!)

- The birds were green, that worried us.

- I though Heidi looked green, but thankfully it was just the tint from my glasses and not way-up-high-ready-to-pass-out-itis.

- Lots of clapping, though I'd lose both hands, but it'd've been worth it!

- Heidi got a lot more interested in the game when five younger, shirtless men with Y A N K S painted on their chests walked up and down the stadium...well, at least she paid more attention after that!

- I took pictures, haha, there's the jeter blip, the tino blip, the arod blip is at bat in this one, doubt you'll even be able to make our numbers on their unis, oh well.

- We were entertained by some drunks, one to our left that got everyone to do the famed "Let's go [insert player's name here]" chants, one in the row in front of us who wouldn't shut up when we got there but soon succumbed to a beer nap, one behind and to the left of us who nonestop kept going "Let's go Yankees", but no one would join in and he was ready to go down, if it weren't for the wall for him to lean on, at some point he started going "This crowd sucks", but we just ignored his drunk ass, he did some cheers none of us could decipher from his slurred speech.

- Heidi looked worried when Mo camed out, the crowd went thoroughly nuts! To which I pointed out they were playing, "Enter Sandman" and it was Mariano Rivera, the best closer in baseball, oh yeah, this was Heidi's first sporting event, and she's not much into sports...so it was a learning thing for her.

- Yanks won, 6-3, kicked some Tampa ass, oh and she seemed confused that everybody rooted for Tino (a devil ray), but he was a much beloved yank at one point, personally I'd love to see him back in pinstripes!

- We make our way back to the bus through the ever poopular mass exodus of Yankees Stadium, that's a lot of people!!! 50,000+

- Unfortunately the drunks pull out new coolers from the buses undercarraige storage and one guess -- yep, more beer -- zeesh!

- Moron guy who kept doing "Let's go Jeter" cheer the entire way back! Um, dude, the stadium is 10, 20, 30, ... 90 miles behind us now!!!

- Heidi falls asleep on me, I sorta doze off my ownself...quiet ride back...not bad...

All in all it was quite the adventure...can't wait to go again! Lol.


Darká Degerön - the poet Darká

© Copyright 2004 DMB Secundus (UN: kornkidxxix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DMB Secundus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298276-Lets-go-vertigo-Yankees-Stadium