*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/302379
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #873782
A story about the elven maiden Chrysanthys as unexected events unfold around her.
#302379 added April 20, 2005 at 10:48am
Restrictions: None
Dinner Party (Rathim)
My name is Rathim Victor Nytel, and I like to consider myself a good man. I honor my mother and father. I pray regularly to my goddess, Helia. I instruct many in the ways of the sword, I am quite good at it. I am even kind to my impetuous imp of a sister, who likes to tease and poke fun at my faults. I know I have faults, I can even see some of them. I have a temper that takes quite a bit of self control to contain. I can be arrogant, because I am simply more qualified to do things than other people. I also know that I hate not getting my way, I suppose that is selfishness.

So I don't understand why the town council sees me as a villain. I took only what was mine by birthright. I am born to lead this city to a bright and glorious future. I need beside me a woman of good manners and impeccable tastes who is not afraid of a little blood. I have been looking forward to my life-mate for months, trying to imagine the lucky woman. There was only a handful of eligible possibilities, and out of them only one matters, Chrysanthys. Her beauty will grow as she ages. She is a graceful, gifted, intelligent woman. I could imagine her violet eyes warming to me. Then my dream was ruined by her mother.

Sneering, I summon up the image of her mother Jonquil. The elf witch is just as beautiful as her daughter, but she is an unbending and cruel woman. I know she was smart enough to realize Chrysanthys would be mine. So she invents this Life-mate for Chrysanthys, when it is obvious that she belongs here by my side.

I tell my mother of my first crush, and like a typical woman she tells me the elf is not for me. That I should consider Ansilla. Her family is just as powerful as ours, and it would unite divided factions in the city. It has been her dream to unite our two houses. So I know it is her desire and not mine, because my father told me the truth.

When I told my father of my first crush, he smiled proudly. His ambition is to sit in the highest position on the council. The spot where the family with the most elven blood in its lineage sits. Then my father brought me Chrysanthys' book, and read to me the pages, I felt like I was being cheated. I was sure that her mother wrote those entries to keep Chrysanthys away from me. I seen her look of horror at the ceremony when I grabbed her. She did not even resist me as I led her down the aisle amidst the confusion in the hall. My loyal servants opened the door at my behest and I brought her back here to be my bride. Brother Perimous was willing to do the ceremony. But to my suprise and consternation, she refused me.

"You can't do this!" Chrysanthys said, her violet eyes angry and accusing. "I won't go through with this periomous. The goddess herself will strike you down if you commit this act of false marriage."
Perimous, for all his talk fo being "one on one" with his goddess, backed out of the ceremony. He left the hall pretty quickly. Then she turned on me.

"I will never marry you Rathim, never!" she stated. Even in her anger she was gloriously fair, her violet eyes afire with indignation and fear. I lost all of my carefully controlled temper and hit her. I had forgotten that her kind bruise easily, but I have not forgotten what happened next. I expected to hear sobbing and crying and even remorse. My father said she would do these things. He said she would change her mind and marry me. I did not expect her to stand and force me to see the welt on her face. I looked at the welt on her face, and I was sorry. It is not honourable for a man to hit a woman, no matter the circumstances. I was a man now, not a silly little boy. I tried to apologize, but she would not speak to me, she only stared. I could not turn my eyes from her for, where ever I looked, she was there. A slight movement, a rustle of her dress and she was there with that angry welt that reminded me of my sin. So I ordered my men to take her up to the guest tower.

Then her mother arrived. She was dressed casually, and I admitted her in. She was formal in addressing this "misunderstanding" as she called it. She began to tell me how I was never meant to be her daughter's life-mate, and that Chrysanthys should be brought to her. She told me they were planning to depart soon to return to the elven city. I cut her off, I could not stand hearing that my own life-mate was to be taken from me. Jonquil kept reminding me of a life-mate she had produced on paper for me, but I know it was all just a trick. What does a weaver's daughter know about elegance? I refused Jonquil's request again. She began to lose that cool demeanor that most of us are used to seeing. She told me of an elven knight in their city who was awaiting Chrysanthys' return. That this man would be merciless in retrieving Chrysanthys. I told Jonquil to bring this elf. If I could defeat him in battle, then Chrysanthys would be mine without any doubt. Jonquil agreed to this and departed quickly.

I was proud as I told my father of my noble idea. He was not so happy though. He called me a fool, and told me to stop Jonquil. If I possessed Jonquil, then Chrysanthys would listen to reason. So I ran towards the courtyard, ordering my archers to hold her there. She whistled shrilly and an answering call came from a distance. We all stared in shock as the biggest eagle I have ever seen landed in the courtyard. Jonquil climbed on its back like it was a horse, and she gave it the command to fly. I was still standing there when my father appeared and ordered the men to fire. I was still enthralled with the majesty of such a large creature. The eagle seemed able to dodge most of the arrows launched at it with relative ease, even though it was still rising from the courtyard. I watched them begin to fly off towards the distant mountains, when an arrow struck the wing of the bird. For a minute, I thought they hesitated, then they began a spiralling descent towards the trees. I felt remorseful, I did not like the woman, but I did not wish her death. Chrysanthys would not speak to me, she seen from the window the same things I had seen. But I could not convince her that she was my true life-mate. I threaten her, but she resists.

I hurt her a few days ago, and I feel as sinful as the day I gave her the welt. I do not want to hurt her, for she is my life-mate. She should want to be with me on her own. I know she has been brainwashed by her mother, so I try to be understanding. I am going to see her now. She has had three days to herself without my appearance. I am hoping she has come to her senses. I bathed earlier today and I am dressed in my best clothing.

I climb the steps to the tower, the girls I sent to attend her are coming down. They look at me cautiously and move along. Lissa frowns at me, and I shake my head. When she has her life-mate, she'll understand me. I knock on the door, there is no answer. So I let myself in. She has her back to me again. She is in a lovely evening dress that is open at the back. Her silvery hair is pinned up, with a few curls astray. I stand there, staring at her, for a moment, I consider that perhaps Lady Jonquil was right. She seems too perfect to fit into these surroundings. I dismiss it when she turns to me. Her beautiful face framed by the last rays of light before night sets in. Her perfection reminds me of the changes I must make to my home to blend that perfection with the noble status my family has.

"Come, Chrysanthys. I have arranged entertainment for the tonight." I say politely as I offer my hand to her valiantly. She eyes me warily, I guess I deserve that for my behavior.


"We will be with my family tonight. I promise you we will not be alone." I offer, hoping, she'll put aside this coldness for tonight. Still cautious, she moves next to me, though she will not take my arm.

Elated, I float down the stairs with her by my side, feeling very kingly indeed. She does not look at me, though I can see she is clearly curious about tonight's events. We descend the stairs and I lead her to the Great Hall. There are four large tables that go the length of the hall. There are many here who are enjoying themselves with good eating and drinking. When I enter with Chrysanthys, the whole hall stops to stare at us, or more correctly, at her. It was my hope that she will see how much they admire her, that she can indeed be a queen here. My father and mother are at the head of the first table. My father is smiling openly and gesturing for us to take our places. My mother looks doubtful and glances at Chrysanthys frequently. Chrysanthys says nothing as I lead her to the first table, and place her close to my father. She shudders, and before she sits, switches seats with me. My father seems disturbed by her shift in seating, and looks at me. I shrug, I do not know why she switched places in the seating. I am happy she agreed to come downstairs with me tonight .


Dinner trays are passed to us and I easily pluck food from the trays I am interested in, then I watch Chrysanthys. She seems to be unfolding like a flower that opens only with the sun's touch. She carefully selects a few pieces and I note what it is she takes. I only wish to make her happy. I'll start with small things like this dinner banquet and move to larger more meaningful things, like our marriage. She does not look at me or my father, she seems to be looking around the hall. Her eyes rove about awhile as she takes in the music and dancing, then they stop on my sister. She smiles at my sister and the two begin a small conversation on bath oils. My sister is on the other side of Chrysanthys, so I cannot hear everything they say. I was about to say something when I hear a voice at the front of the room. It is Thorys. I invited him so I can make Chrys feel more at home here. The rooms gradually quiets as he looks around.

"My fellow citizens, I bless you all tonight as we enjoy the hospitality of the Nytel family." Thorys holds up a single goblet. Many say their cheers and drink. Rathim's father, observes Thorys carefully as the cleric continues. "We all have been tense the past few nights as strange events happened. Tonight, though is special,tonight Lady Chrysanthys will take her leave of this hospitality and return home."

My eyes pop open, and my head swivels to the old man. I never agreed to that, Chrysanthys shows no expression as Thorys goes on. Murmurs fly around the room, and I think quickly. Why would this man say those words at this moment? My answer comes quickly as young acolytes move up the tables to Chrysanthys. Thorys looks at her now, as if he is summoning up courage to speak his next words.

"She will be returning to her home here in the city. Since it is closed to protect the city, she will be as safe as any one of us. Dravon's confidence in releasing her shows us that he and his son Rathim have everything under control." Thorys smiles as people clap happily, their lives would be returning to normal. My father was not smiling, he was in fact, quivering in anger. Thorys has used this gathering as a means of removing Chrysanthys from us. If he refuses things can get violent real quick. I must act quickly. I stand and move to Thorys.

"Thorys, your words are heartening. However, Chrysanthys has agreed to stay with us in her time of mourning. My sister sees to her needs, the lady needs nothing else." My words make others turn their heads to Chrysanthys. Her words are what matter now. Thorys waits for Chrysanthys to speak, and as she opens her mouth to speak, chaos envelops my household. My father stands and he grabs Chrysanthys now, and he holds her to him like he would a prize trophy.

"Chrysanthys is a member of this household. She is not leaving." He should not have grabbed her. My fathe ris ruining everythign I hav done to make Chrysanthys relax. This is not what I wanted. Men started rising on each side of the room, drawing their weapons. I tried to calm them but I found myself out of control of this situation. As I see sword clash with sword and women screaming as they seek cover, there is one voice that silences them all.

"Enough!" It is Chrysanthys. Her words have the feel of steel swords as they cut through the din and men literally halt their swords in mid strike. "It is true, I am a prisoner here,. I will not have blood shed in my name. I will leave this household under two conditions." She says, everyone turns to look to her for guidance. "One. Rathim releases me of his own will, or Two. My life-mate Jacareth will come to liberate me." She looks at me. "I am returning to my room now." Then as elegantly as any queen she leaves the hall, making sure any insurgents are escorted out before she leaves. I turn on my father.

"How can you do this to me?! I had convinced her to come downstairs and you ruined it! You ruined it!!" I exclaim angrily. My father pays no attention to my ranting.

"Son, you don't bargain with people like her, you act. That woman upstairs is your life-mate. She will love you in time. Act like a man, go and claim your wife." he says tiredly. He has no time for me today, I can see that now. I was not going yet though.

"Is that how it was with mother?" I ask. I have to know. My mother loves my father deeply. I can feel their affection when they are together.

"No. We found out about our betrothal at our Coming of Age ceremony." he answers simply.

"Then why isn't Chrysanthys responding to me? It is frustrating." I say as I sit down. No one is in the hall with us.

"Because it is like I told you before. She has to share you with another. It is a very rare occurence in this family but it does happen that a man will have two life-mates." he explains to me as he pats my shoulder. "You'll have your hands full with two women, but at least they were best friends."

"So, I am still to marry the Weaver's daughter? This is to mollify mother right?" I ask. I trust my father and his wisdom, he has never been wrong before. Yet I feel something about this whole arrangement is wrong.

"Exactly. You'll unite the city and have two lovely wives to share it with." My father smiles at me proudly as I stand to leave.

This plan makes me feel uncomfortable. I should seek counsel, but the only counsel I could seek would be from Perimous. He's too weak. He just doesn't seem like the confiding type either. I feel like I am on a battlefield. Maybe I am, I shall not give up my endeavors to court Chrysanthys as I prepare to negotiate with Ansilla's family.

http://Writing.Com/authors/chrysanthys
© Copyright 2005 Skyaire (UN: chrysanthys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Skyaire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/302379