*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307606-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #891966
alone in a strong blizzard, she has no food, no warmth, will Kylara survive?
#307606 added September 24, 2004 at 10:21pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
         The rest of the afternoon, no one else interrupted Kylara, but she always had the sense of being watched. Kylara had just finished putting the loads of food on the table. There was beef stew, rolls, rice, beans, and so many other dishes of food. No one was going to complain, or they were going to get hurt, thought Kylara as she put the plates on the table.
          “You can smell this heaven all the way on the other side of camp,” Kylara looked up and saw Fanna come through the door.
          “I didn’t over do it, did I? I mean, I saw all the food from earlier, I made sure there was at least that much for supper. I didn’t know when you would be back, I hope you don’t mind,” said Kylara.
          “Dear, it’s wonderful, you did exactly as I would have done. You are indeed my perfect assistant,” Fanna walked behind the curtain into the kitchen area and gasped, “More than perfect! Everything is cleaned to perfection!”
         Kylara smiled, she had followed Fanna back, “I saw that you like everything clean and tidy, and you’re the only reason I am here. So I did everything I hoped you would want me to do.”
         Fanna nodded, “Everything is perfect, I’ll go ring the bell for supper time, you wait here.” Fanna walked out of the tent.
         A few moments later she heard a bell ring, once, then twice. Then she heard what sounded like a stampede. Kylara peeked out from behind the curtain to where the tables were and saw that tables were filled with men and they were all stuffing themselves.
         Fanna came into the back and closed the curtain again. She smiled at Kylara, “Looks as if they’ve been waiting all afternoon to get here. I didn't even ring the bell and men we’re already rushing over. I think you’ve become their new cook.”
          “Yeah, it does seem that way, but new cook? I could never take your place Fanna!” said Kylara as she looked at Fanna.
          “Oh, no worries dear, I have many other duties I can do. You will now be in charge of the kitchen. Make me proud, eh?” Fanna smiled and hugged Kylara.
         Kylara hugged back, “I will.”
         Fanna pulled away and smiled still, “Now, you need to make up a tray and take it to Lord Talmore. I will finish feeding the men here.”
          “Do I have to see him again Fanna?” she said with an exasperated tone.
          “Yes, you must. I know you don’t like him much dear, but you must,” Fanna handed Kylara the tray she had just filled.
          “But…”
          “No buts dear. You take this to him, and please bow this time once you have set the tray down. Now what you need to do is, set the tray down on the small table that is near him. Then after a quick bow you sit before him and wait till he finishes and bring the tray back. If he talks to you, you answer him. Got all that?” Fanna gave Kylara an encouraging smile.
          “Yes…ma’am,” Kylara put on her cloak then took the tray and walked over to the lord’s tent.
         The guard, a different one from before, gave a quick nod when he saw the tray of food and let Kylara pass. Kylara walked quietly up to Lord Talmore and set the tray down on the table, gave a quick bow, than sat some feet away from him.
         Lord Talmore watched Kylara’s every movement. When she sat down, he finally asked, “Where is Fanna?”
          “She has given me full duty of the kitchen, my lord,” Kylara answered with her head bowed.
         Lord Talmore ate a bit than spoke, “She must like you a lot for some reason, she has never let anyone in her kitchen, let alone take over.”
         Kylara did not respond.
          “Well, girl, how old are you? You don’t seem old enough to know how to cook food like this and run a kitchen.”
          “I’m nineteen, my lord.”
          “Look at me when I’m speaking to you, and when you speak to me,” ordered Lord Talmore.
         Kylara lifted her head up and started straight into his eyes. He want’s me to look at him, then I will, straight on, thought Kylara to herself.
         Lord Talmore ate some more, “That’s better, now then, you say you are nineteen, hmm…that is close to my son’s age, he’s twenty you know. He’ll be the greatest warrior ever!” he spoke with great pride, “He’ll meet us at the castle tomorrow when we arrive.”
          “My Lord?” Kylara asked in question.
          “Did Fanna not tell you? We leave in the morning for the castle. Right now we are in the forest, but not far from that is the edge of my land, and my castle. This is just the war camp. Tomorrow we will go there, we should make it by mid-afternoon. Which reminds me, since you are in charge of the kitchen now, you are in charge of having our welcome feast prepared for.”
          “But my lord, that is not-” Kylara started to say.
         Lord Talmore interrupted her, “You will do it with out complaint. You may take the tray now.”
         Kylara stood up and took the tray. As she walked back to the kitchen tent, she called Lord Talmore every horrible name she could think of in her mind.
         When Kylara got back to the kitchen tent it was empty of people. The tables were filled with dirty dishes, and Kylara thought, she would have to wash them all. Kylara grumbled but got to work. She would rather be out in the forest, practicing sword fighting or hunting, not cleaning up after slobs. Kylara gathered the dishes and washed them. Luckily the men ate everything and there wasn’t food left on the plates.
         Kylara had just finished when she realized someone was watching her. She knew someone was there, she had this feeling. Kylara slowly turned around and saw a man in riding clothes and covered in dirt. He was standing only a few feet away from her. She could see his dark blue eyes, a bit clouded from tiredness. His short brown hair was sticking out in different ways from the wind. If Kylara was an ordinary girl, she might of thought him handsome. But she was not, and past events had made her despise most men.
          “Sorry miss, didn’t mean to sneak up on you. I was looking for Fanna,” he said.
          “Right,” Kylara turned and started picked up the heavy kettle she had made the stew in, it was the last thing to clean, “Sorry, but she’s not here. I work the kitchen now.” She felt him move closer.
          “Here, let me help you with that,” He picked it up and moved it to the water bin where it could be cleaned. “Now, since you work the kitchen, I must ask you something.”
         Kylara filled the kettle with water and started scrubbing, “Alright, what is it?”
          “I’ve been riding all day with only bread and dried meat to eat. I heard some of the men saying they had eaten the most wonderful meal. I was wondering if there was any left that I may have.”
         Kylara rinsed out the kettle and left it to dry. She got up and looked at the man, “No, sorry, the men ate it all….” Kylara trailed off, then with another look at the man and gave in, “except some that I saved. It won’t be hot, but it should still taste fine.”
         The man smiled a bit, “Anything would be greatly appreciated miss.”
         Kylara gave a quick nod then walked over to a shelf and pulled a tray out. It had a bowl of stew, bread, and a few fruits. She had been saving it for her supper, but the man probably could use it more than she could, even if she was hungry and tired. Kylara turned and handed him the tray.
          “I hope this is enough, I didn’t save it for a grown man,” Kylara gave him a polite smile. Oh how she hated putting on fake smiles, Kylara thought to herself.
         He took the tray and sat at the end of a table closest to her. He ate all of the soup, then looked at Kylara who was standing there waiting. “This is wonderful. Who were you saving it for? And what are you waiting for?”
         Kylara ignored the first question and answered the second, “I’m waiting for you to finish so I may clean up those dishes and retire for the night.”
         The man took a bite of bread, “Oh, no need to wait then, I’ll clean them up myself, but you did not answer my first question miss, who were you saving this for?”
         Kylara grabbed her cloak and put it on with a swirl of white, then she turned to him, “It was to be my supper, but you needed it more than I. Enjoy what is left, good night.” She started to head out when she felt him coming toward her. He was about to grab her when Kylara side stepped then turned, “Is there something else you need?”
         His eyes seemed to bore a hole through Kylara, “You are so skinny and pale, you look unwell and hungry. Yet you gave a strange man your food, why?”
          “I look pale and hungry because I have been up longer than I should after being unconscious for a while. I should have retired to bed sooner, but I had to do my duty. Why I gave you the food, because you seemed hungrier than I. If you excuse me, I wish to sleep.” Kylara turned away and started walking again.
          “Wait!” he said from behind her.
         Kylara stopped, but did not turn.
          “Unconscious for a while? Then you are the girl that Jaxom and Anthony saved. I talked to Jaxom a few moments before coming here. He said that he was out hunting and came upon a girl that was half-dead in the snow. He said she pulled a sword on him when he tried to help, but then she fell unconscious. You must be her, are you not? And if you are, you shouldn’t be working as hard as I saw you doing. And you shouldn’t have been up all day cooking this wonderful food either.”
         Kylara gave a quick nod, “I am her. But, I am stronger than I look. Do not underestimate me. Maybe I should not have been up so long, but I had to. You are keeping me up, may I go now?”
          “Of course, of course. Sorry to keep you waiting miss. Wait, one more question, what is your name?”
         Kylara looked over her shoulder, and for once in months, she really smiled, “You must figure that one out, it shouldn’t be to hard.” Kylara walked off with out another word.
         The man stood in the tent’s doorway and watched her walk away. He shook his head and went to clean up his dishes. Then, he was going to take a hot bath and clean up before seeing his father.
         Once Kylara reached the tent, she noticed the other three women were already in bed and asleep. Kylara looked at her own bed. It was finished and beckoning Kylara’s tired body. As soon as Kylara laid down, still fully clothed, she fell asleep instantly.
© Copyright 2004 wildmagick1 (UN: wildmagick1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
wildmagick1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307606-Chapter-2