*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/312393-A-Tour-of-Everything-You-Didnt-Need-to-See
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Arts · #702718
I decided to try my hand at this journallog thing
#312393 added October 31, 2004 at 12:17am
Restrictions: None
A Tour of Everything You Didn't Need to See
So I went up to the University at Albany Saturday morning for the Open House for Prospective Students so as to learn more about the place I'll potentially be moving to and learning at...well...

Besides the fact that the place is ungodly humongous (and that's just the uptown campus) it's also ungodly humongous! How many places have quads that are 23 stories high with eight three story dorm buildings around them (now times by five) and add to that two sets of apartment complexes all on campus just to house the students...oh and housing at the downtown campus too...I'm getting ahead of myself though...

So we find the lecture hall for the Math, Science, & Computer Science majors...first off, no one from the Math department was speaking today and I'm looking to sign up for the Actuarial Science major [LOTS OF MATH]. It was then that I also started getting the impression this whole shebang was geared toward Freshmen and not Transfer students [such as I would be]. Alas, after much droning on and on by the computer science and atmospheric science guys and two of their precious little alumni we were set free to wonder the tables set up outside the lecture halls...50 tables and ONE that represented all of mathematics! Physics had a table, comp sci had a table, biology had a table, etc...but just ONE for ALL OF MATH...

So anyhow, then we go on a bus tour and through this discover that us transfering [juniors] don't get the nice cushy apartments [meant for juniors and seniors] but instead get shoved on slightly better dorms on the downtown campus three miles away [oh, but there is a bus...whoopty friggin' doo]. Of course, we only get to see the dungeonesque style dorm rooms for the measly freshmen, didn't get to see the suite style [4-6 students per suite, four bedrooms, kitchen, living room, and bath -- as opposed to rooms with two bedrooms, a bunkbed in each and two tiny ass closets to be shared amongst four and a communal bathroom to each floor to be shared by sixteen students...]. Of course didn't get to see the slighly better dorms over yonder three miles [two per dorm instead of four, and no suite style there]... The reason I'm so pissed about it is that when I talked to someone from UAlbany originally they said I'd get into the apartments and now everyone is saying, no, we hate any non-three year on this campus the whole time people, so all you first and second year as well as transfer students can suck scum...

Other than that it wasn't so bad, I would have gone on the bus tour, which would pass by the athletic fields and more importantly the apartments], but considering their Freshman oriented mindset we weren't going to able to actually see any of those up close anyhow [the apartments I mean]...anyhow, they did say there'd be a thing on Dec. 6th specifically for Transfer students, I plan to go to that and maybe get some real info!


Darká Degerön - the poet Darká

© Copyright 2004 DMB Secundus (UN: kornkidxxix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DMB Secundus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/312393-A-Tour-of-Everything-You-Didnt-Need-to-See