*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332374-February-25-2004-storytime
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
February 25, 2004: storytime

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

noticing newbies - newsletter header



Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Please, if you read a great piece written by a Newbie, submit it to the newsletter. We just can't find them all without your help!

Your host this week is esprit


Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header



LETTER FROM THE EDITOR


DEFINITION OF THE WRITING.COM-MUNITY TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM MERRIAM-WEBSTER


a unified body of individuals: b : people with common interests c : an interacting population of various kinds of individuals in a common location d : a group of people with a common interest together within a larger society e : a group linked by a common policy -g : joint participation b : LIKENESS community of interests c : social activity : FELLOWSHIP


Hey! How do you like the site so far? There's so much to see and do, it's kinda like going to Disneyland and trying to cram everything into a one-day pass isn’t it? Thank goodness you don’t have to do that. You can log on and visit anytime you want to. Take your time to see everything at your leisure.

If you’ve ever visited Disneyland, did you meet ole Walt? Probably not. You did meet plenty of his representatives though, Mickey, Goofy, and all the rest.

On Writing.Com you will meet the big guys, the originators, the Red Cases behind the idea of a one-of-a-kind on-line community. You will see them working alongside you daily, gathering your ideas and suggestions for making the community better and easier to use. One or both of their envelopes are white most of the time.

Yes, of course they are real people! Did you think this was just another internet site where you would do your own thing and be ignored, where nobody cared? Where nobody said hello or welcome, or nobody read your work? A place where links broke or the site went down for days and nobody explained or worried about it? You are in for a pleasant surprise, you are now a member of the most fantastic writing community anywhere! A place where the members and the owners really care about each other. YOU are noticed and it’s not just hype!

Speaking of downed sites, I remember last year when the site went down in the middle of the night. I sat in front of my monitor and cried! I hoped it was my connection so I tried other sites. My IEbrowser hadn’t been out of this community for so long he balked. I assured him it wouldn’t take long, that I was just testing my connection. Then I restarted my machine, twice. I seriously considered hitting the restore apparatus. I began to think the site had closed down. I was devastated, and I wasn't the only one. The posts next morning told the story. Everyone laughed with relief.

When the site did come back up, I cried again, from relief this time. It seems The StoryMaster had had a nightmare. He woke up at 3:00 a.m. with a feeling something was wrong. Immediately alerting The StoryMistress by falling over a shoe their kitty had pulled to the middle of the floor, they began the task of searching out the problem. He knew there were members all over the globe desperately staring at the message on their screens: Error 404- web site not found, and sobbing. He may have a strong sense of ESP, but I believe it was the combined energy of thousands of like-minded individuals, a collective consciousness concentrated on one thing at the same time that roused him from slumber. SM, WE HAVE A PROBLEM, WAKE UP! I believe it was the members who gave him the nightmares. You can rest assured, this site will never be down for long.

You will also meet their representatives who can be called Mickey or Goofy, almost anything they choose. Best of all, YOU are now a representative, and you are included in everything. Your name is listed in the Hall of Records in alphabetical order. As long as you follow the few rules and remain active you will enjoy a bounty of friends and neighbors and be kept busy forever, or as long as you choose.

I bet you didn’t know they have ports just like the rest of us. They surely do and they like visitors as much as you and I. Why don't you drop in to visit and get to know them better. They are real people who occasionally have time to write something besides the many helpful how-to articles you see all around us. You'll understand how important Writing.Com is to them and to the rest of us. We hope it will become important to you too.




Editor's Picks


Rodeo Bull on 48 Hours  (13+)
My letter to CBS regarding their "news" show last night.
#312424 by The StoryMistress


My Eulogy For Grandpa  (ASR)
A tribute to my Grandpa who passed away on 8/10/02.
#495098 by The StoryMaster


Ben  (ASR)
Our Puerto Rican kitty... our little Bendito.
#368573 by The StoryMistress


STATIC
I Never Saw It Coming  (13+)
Caught off guard by the one I love...
#741397 by The StoryMistress


Dear StoryMaster...  (E)
My personal thanks to the StoryMaster, creator of this wonderful place.
#212667 by The StoryMistress


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#586200 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#507311 by Not Available.


helpful items

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#794817 by Not Available.


 Send Your Testimonial!  (E)
Add your mark to our "Testimonials" page...
#467685 by The StoryMistress


 An Example Unrateable Item  (E)
This is just an example of an unrateable item.
#546668 by Writing.Com Support


How To Deal With Negative Comments  (E)
How To Deal With An Unconstructive And Negative Comment.
#333172 by Writing.Com Support


 Gaining Exposure Within Writing.Com  (ASR)
My column discussing six tips to gaining exposure within Writing.Com!
#298127 by The StoryMaster


The StoryMaster On Gift Points  (ASR)
The StoryMaster's answer to "The Gift Point Economy".
#196083 by The StoryMaster


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*

QUOTE


Writing.com is the best site i have found to put forward my work and view works of many good and talented writers.
I have surfed through the internet sites but this site is the BEST no matter what...

submitted by:nashomega
with permission.

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*




 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#813249 by Not Available.


 The Fledgling  (E)
A young druid contemplates her renewed life.
#813268 by CTalley


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#813301 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#806943 by Not Available.


 The Boy Who Wore His Hat in Church  (E)
This is a story about a boy who pays a price for his curiosity.
#809513 by FrankSperry


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#817874 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#809855 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#816761 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#817732 by Not Available.


*Star* Don't forget to submit items to the newsletter for consideration.

The editors are;

amawitch
Beyond the Cloud9
*Star* bianca_b is next week's editor*Exclaim*
esprit


** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
noticing newbies committee sig



 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Wow! I received so many replies to my question last month.
'Do you edit during or after you're finished writing?

They could take up a whole newsletter by themselves! I appreciate the great feedback, thank you!

Submitted Comment By: Beyond the Cloud9

Hi Esprit! Great newsletter! To answer your question, I edit both during and after I write, unless I'm rushed. If I'm rushed I edit during only and then skim over it later (usually missing a ton of typos). Many of the things I write for the Writer's Cramp have typos in them, as I don't have time to go back and edit. I also like to type in MS Word so it will catch spelling errors and potential grammar mistakes.

Submitted Comment By: wordsy

Thank you so much for the exposure in your wonderful newsletter.
p.b

Thank you, potboiler, for posting it again! lol

Submitted Comment By: Pretty in Black

Great newsletter this week! I am going to definitely have to try that 200 word no-sight description freewrite...
As for your question, I edit as I go... if I don't do it right then and there as I am writing, I will forget or may not catch it when I go back and re-read.
Keep up the good work,
~Jamie

Submitted Comment By: islander

Well, I'm not a newbie, but I use the newsletter for the stories highlighted. To your question: At first, I edited after the story had "gone cold", now I tend to edit as I go. I think the two step approach is still the best, especially for the novice. And, since the two step process often leads to the 90 step rewrite- just kidding, but it feels that way sometimes. Regards-

Submitted Comment By: angelohare

Edit as you go? Wow, that would be something! NOT! I just can't imagine worrying about the little stuff when I am "IN THE MOOD with my muse."

I am the type who writes for hours on end most of the time. I start and I can't stop, well for refills of coffee I will pause.

I can sort of proof my stuff and I do try once my flow has stopped. I need an editor to edit for me, I am just not that good with proper grammar and such. I proof for the odd misspellings or using the write word just the wrong spelling for it like 'there instead of their.'

It must be very difficult to write a good readable story if you are editing as you are writing! How do you maintain the flow if you are constantly interrupting it with your unnecessary correction? I say unnecessary because you can do that anytime before you post or submit your story. My words of advice? GO WITH THE FLOW!

Huggles
Angel O'Hare


*Star**Star* As we all know, when you choose to edit is a personal decision, and it probably depends on the size of the item. Long pieces or novels would be easier to do at the revision stage I think, and you wouldn't stand the danger of losing your muse. Whenever you choose to edit, just be sure to do it. Editors won't do your work for you.

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


Question for March 24th issue.

When you are stuck for a story idea, which works best for you: a list of prompts, freewriting, or?


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


*Star* The Noticing Newbies Newsletter is NOT just for newbies. I wish everyone subscribed!

Submitted By: The Critic
I know I have a yellow case, I just received it! I am very honored to have that pretty bright yellow case, but with so much activity on this site, I think I will feel like a newbie for a long time. Besides there is a lot of good reading that you take the time to introduce. This is wonderful information. And if you don't mind I surely want to keep getting your newsletter. Thank you!

Submitted By: tamkay44
I would like to ask you that when someone has been in writers.com for two months, do they have to stop taking the newsletter for newbies. It has been a month and a few days for me, and I"m still learning alot.


Thank you! We hope you all continue to enjoy it!

*Star*


*Star*
Getting Started: Table of Contents  [E]
Visit here for a tour of Writing.Com and learn about this vast, exciting site!
by The StoryMistress

Read this whenever you have a question. All of the answers are here. It is located at the top of every page.

*Star* FAQ's are located at the top and bottom of every page.

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Noticing Newbies  [13+]
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
by The StoryMistress


User Resources  [E]
A brief listing of review forums, how-to articles, writing workshops for newbies :)
by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Don't forget about the Newsletter Contest!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#806679 by Not Available.



 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:31pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:31pm      

Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332374-February-25-2004-storytime