*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/339510-the-flip-side
Rated: 18+ · Book · Parenting · #953544
The adventures of my nine year old son Jonah, who has autism.
#339510 added April 6, 2005 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
the flip side
I do not want this journal to be the place where I come only to complain about the hard part of having an autistic child.....to describe the tears and pain. It would be a disservice to me, to Jonah, and to everyone who reads this.

Today I dropped monkey off at school and he laughed and shrieked like I was bringing him to Disneyworld. I love how much he loves school. It makes it so much easier for me to go about my day without worrying that my poor monkerboo is miserable or frightened or freaked out.

When I went to pick him up, two of the teacher's aides brought him out to me. I can tell they love him. I lifted Jonah into my arms and one teacher asked for a kiss. He leaned his little head into hers and offered his little lips like an angel. It brought tears to my eyes! Then the teachers were laughing about how funny he is and how infectious his laugh can be.

I'm grateful he's so engaged and engaging. He is always interested in what's going on in his immediate environment.

And I adore that he finds things funny. He actually seems to have a normally-developing sense of humor.
For example, right now his big joke is this:

He holds up one finger.

I say ONE!

He holds up two fingers.

I say TWO!

He holds up three fingers.

I say THREE!

The he moves all his fingers up and down really fast and starts giggling as I yell ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR-FIVE-ONE-THREE-FIVE-FOUR-TWO-ONE-ONE-FIVE-FOUR-THREE!

Maybe he'll be a stand up comedian...

or just someone who makes people smile.





"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried."
         ~ Mae West (1892 - 1980)

** Image ID #750081 Unavailable ** 218143218143
** Image ID #868365 Unavailable **














© Copyright 2005 winklett in the woods (UN: winklett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
winklett in the woods has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/339510-the-flip-side